16.06 XFCE WiFi doesn't work

Thanks. I don't see the WiFi switch, however. There's nothing there.
Also, what exactly do I enter into the terminal? I tried entering everything you gave me and I get "no such file or directory found." Am I doing something wrong? I'm completely brand new to linux so I wouldn't doubt it.

Its OK, I just didnt have time.

In /etc/modprobe.d/ you will probably see a few files. We want to create a new one that is your own blacklist to be loaded as well as whatever system defaults you have. In the case above I gave you mine, which is /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-mine.conf ... you can make a new file and name it whateveryouwant.conf . In this file append any modules you would like to blacklist. In my case I actually have

blacklist btrfs
blacklist bluetooth
blacklist ath3k
blacklist btusb
blacklist btbcm
blacklist thinkpad_ec
blacklist kvm*
blacklist ndiswrapper
blacklist dm-raid*
blacklist i2c_hid
blacklist uvcvideo

In my file, but what I wrote above is what may pertain to you. [I hate bluetooth]

-Note that this is in a sytem folder and you will require ROOT. I would like to tell you all about that, but for now, you can probably just right-click in your file manager and 'open as root' or something similar. Like 'Administrator' or so.

[BONUS - if you want to do this in the terminal you can do something like
"sudo kwrite /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-mine.conf" , enter your values and save, reboot. ]

Thank you, but how does black listing these allow the OS to recognize my WiFi drivers?

That was my list. and why I asked for the output of "lsmod"

In my case I believe I needed to blacklist ath3k so that the proper ath9k was loaded.

You say that in /etc/modprobe.d/ I might find a couple files but when I type that into the terminal it only says "is a directory"
I'm still not grasping how to create this blacklist so I can try blacklisting the driver and get my WiFi working. I'm really sorry. I typed everything you told me to into the terminal and nothing seems to be working.

/etc/modprobe.d/ is a directory. There are probably a few files in there. Make a new one. This can be done by using your file manager, navigating to /etc/modprobe.d/ and open as root (there is probably an entry when you right-click called something like 'open as administrator', 'open as root' or something similar). Create a new file in the modprobe.d folder and name it "blacklist-mine.conf" and place "blacklist ath3k" (without the quotes) in this file. Save it and reboot.

sudo kwrite /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-mine.conf

in terminal should have also worked to create and open the new file.

@anrilu

When I was new to Linux I sometimes searched for the more complicated solutions so I'm going to suggest that you check if your wifi is definetily turned on, this is not intended as an insult, more like my personal experience :slight_smile: See attached image in the upper right corner.

This ath10k module needed for the wifi card requires firmware which should be in the latest linux-firmware package (it is in Arch at least.) Don't know if the Manjaro devs have included it here.

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath10k

It only hass a wired option but thanks

How do I download it?

Some installation instructions here but I don't know if they apply to Manjaro.

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath10k/firmware

I've tried that. There's no option to even turn on WiFi. When i go under hardware it says there's an unknown device name (Qualcomm Atheros). How do I install the driver? When I switch back over to windows 10 it is available. What gives? Thanks.

So I just tried downloading ath10k in pamac and I got the following... what am I doing wrong? at one point it wanted to know if I wanted to edit the package, but I don't know what I would do, so I said no... any help would be outstanding! Thanks!

Better wait for devs to comment. As far as I know you don't have to build the binary just copy it to the right place.

When I'm building these packages from AUR and it asks for an editor I give it gedit and say yes to editing. Then I close the editor and everything continues.
NOTE: I HARDLY KNOW IF THIS IS SAFE BUT IT HAS WORKED FOR ME AND I TAKE THE RISK SINCE THIS IS A HOBBY MACHINE AND IT'S NOT A BIG LOSS.
best wishes and hope you'll find a solution :slight_smile:

Ok, so I thought it was working well until I got the following response:

Well I've tried that. I read on other forums that realtec drivers may be preventing WiFi drivers from working. Below is my inxi -F output. Would anyone be able to tell if this is the case? Again, my PC is an Asus F556. Thanks.

[anrilu6@anrilu6-pc ~]$ inxi -F
System: Host: anrilu6-pc Kernel: 4.4.13-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine: System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X556UA v: 1.0
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X556UA v: 1.0
Bios: American Megatrends v: X556UA.302 date: 12/09/2015
Battery BAT0: charge: 24.8 Wh 66.5% condition: 37.3/38.0 Wh (98%)
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-6200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 688 MHz 2: 399 MHz 3: 460 MHz
4: 399 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Skylake Integrated Graphics
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 driver: intel
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.05hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.2
Audio: Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.13-1-MANJARO
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8168
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
mac: d0:17:c2:10:44:b7
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros Device 0042 driver: ath10k_pci
IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives: HDD Total Size: 256.1GB (5.8% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: HFS256G32MND size: 256.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 204G used: 14G (8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 32.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2400
Info: Processes: 176 Uptime: 25 min Memory: 876.2/7856.1MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0

Might be unrelated to the problem discussed here, but since some updates, my Wlan Icon (Networkmanager) in XFCE shows that I'm not connected anymore after resume from suspend, but in reality, the wlan connection IS connected.
So if anyone thinks he has problems with wlan, he should make sure (with browser, ping etc.) if he is connected or not...

OP started a new thread here:

Closing this one.

Forum kindly sponsored by