17.0.2 has over 400,000 downloads to date

I'll cop to downloading the Cinnamon ISO thrice :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Gnome is like a country I don't like, all it knows how to do is piss people off, and have very little chance of becoming a major player in the linux world. KDE rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:1st_place_medal::+1::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

Nope! I'm afraid you failed to convince me. My minimum is 15 emoticons before I agree to anything people have to say.

4 Likes

For pretty much the same reason has water little chance becoming wet and dinosaurs have little chance of becoming extinct. Like it or not, gnome has a major impact on linux ecosystem. It spearheads the wayland desktop development, it has a significant userbase, it has spawned two popular forks (cinnamon and mate). Also, GTK toolkit that is used by most major desktops besides kde and lxqt, is being developed for gnome, so their actions directly impact other important projects. It is also default desktop for many major distributions like Fedora and Ubuntu.

The way I see it, gnome and kde are the two biggest players in linux desktop market. And gnome is the more impactful of the two, because it affects other projects more (usually not in a good way in short term).

1 Like

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning: If I can count right that 20 emoticons for you :grinning::grinning: Plus 2 more.

1 Like

Screenshot_20171231_122230

over 2 million!!

3 Likes

And apparently the favored choice of Windows users, too! :smiley:

I'm not sure what that signifies...

It means quite lot of Windows users download Manjaro. I do not think that means that much, th linux users and MACOs users are just much smaller groups.

Maybe because Manjaro logo resembles the Windows logo.

I thought it meant downloaded to Windows clients. Or am I mistaken?

1 Like

I think you are correct.

From 2010 it looks quite impressive. 7.5 Million.
Screenshot_20171231_143852

3 Likes

This would mean that the proportion of downloads from Windows increased compared to downloads from Linux. This can be interpreted that Manjaro was first popular among insiders and then was increasingly considered as a viable option for Windows users who are more likely to be Linux newbies.

1 Like

My interpretation as well. And Manjaro is gorgeous.

"Ooh, pretty! snap

And anybody can supply figures to suit their argument
Any user can interpret those figures again to suit their argument.

1 Like

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

As a former statistician (it came with the job) I can say that numbers do not lie. Interpretation of those numbers is usually the realm of politicians, or so it seems.

6 Likes

Or who are switching to Manjaro as their preferred Linux guest in a VM hosted by their work Windows machine.

1 Like

In archeology (at least in Finland) there is a saying "Stones don't lie". Our professor liked to add: "And the reason they don't lie is that they don't say anything."

6 Likes

To be fair: some facts are harder than others.
But then there's spreadsheets and statisticians to soften them up again. :slight_smile:

My favourite stat about linux is still that during the elections of Oct 2014 Linux based views rose above 20% in Uruguay. Quite a lot of parents must have been checking their kids fedora based One-laptop-per-child thingies.

StatCounter-os_combined-UY-monthly-201401-201711

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by