1st preview of Manjaro Gnome is ready

VirtualBox_test_06_01_2020_20_19_12

Here comes the first testbuild for the upcoming Manjaro-Gnome 19.0 edition. This is a full build on the testing branch.

Highlights are:

• needed fixes for VirtualBox support
  • linux 5.4 kernel series
  • Nvidia 440 driver series with Prime-Support
  • Layout Switcher to have Manjaro, Gnome, Classic and Modern
  • Latest theme and many more

Please give it a try and let us hear your feedback! :sunglasses:

direct | sig | sha1 | torrent

28 Likes

Excellent! Taking a look at it now. Trying it in a VM first and then will try on my Dell XPS 15 9570. Thanks!

Edit: Is this the best place to share my findings or should I be using https://gitlab.manjaro.org?

Man that layout switcher looks like to be inspired from Zorion OS Right?
BTW super cool.

1 Like

Inspired yes but write from scratch by @Chrysostomus

4 Likes

Manjaro also needs to fix its issues with Bluetooth connection in my case specifically for 3rd party wireless gaming controllers.

Is this background really necessary? I think a plain background with the same color would be more interesting than an image full of Manjaro icons.

Captura%20de%20tela_2020-01-07_17-12-03

3 Likes

Definitely or some blur like on Windows maybe.

Honestly you can find some people like this and others don t like this. Theming are Always a personal perspective.. @bogdancovaciu Is a your creation do you think? My assumption Is not true ?
In any case we are open to all..

2 Likes

Arch will use the zstd package.
Does Manjaro support zstd package installation?

@taotieren. See my reply to your exact same question in the KDE announcement thread.

What problem do you have? I have a new xbox controller and it works great under Manjaro.

Can you please provide list of packages to install themes, wallpaper and icons from testing repository to have new look?

1 Like

Im on the stable gnome variant of Majaro, will this be a automatic update of the gnome branch? or a new branch?
BTW talking about virtualbox, seems to be a theme incompatibility and it causes the background of any SO virtualized to be transparent.

Is like saying that a book with blank pages, no text in it, is more interesting than a book with text that you don't like ... Remove the theme and you will have a plain background.

Considering that, if there must be a graphic, that graphic needs to tile, then be consistent on different screen resolutions. This two things will make any "graphic" have limitations/implications:

• either becomes really crowded
  • either appears like is a glitch (see the old diagonal lines background used before
  • either is a plain color that will eventually make people cringe that needs more design
  • or on different resolutions will looks small or big and not always in the center of the screen (when forcing a fixed position)

@Ste74 - we can remove the branding.png and replace it with a transparent, slightly textured background, and be done with it. Use only the white branding logo ...

1 Like

Please use Virtualbox only in Fullscreen-Mode. It has general issues to show stuff in transparent in Window-Mode.

A short description of what each layout changes would be nice. I noticed when I tried "modern" the side bar in gnome tweaks was missing.

The settings are fairly self-explanatory, but I expected "Manjaro Branding" to be the replacement for manjaro-cleanup, but it didn't seem to give the "vanilla" look, so I'm not too sure what that toggles. (The green accents on the login screen for example)

(Unless there is a description somewhere and I missed it, I used the flashlight on my phone to look for my phone once)

There is no gnome branch. The only branches are stable, testing, and unstable.

I can connect my steelseries stratus duo controller but only through this sc-controller thing I got from aur. If I try to connect my controller using bluetooth settings it won't work because my bluetooth setting keeps turning itself of and on and won't register my controller like it used to.

I have a steam controller too but when i use it there is a ton of stuttering and lag so I don't use it.

Try this it works with xbox controller

create this file /etc/modprobe.d/xbox_bt.conf (the name can be anything)
put there this line options bluetooth disable_ertm=1
reboot

If I am remember correctly bluetooth has to be 4.0 or 4.1 or 4.2

Forum kindly sponsored by