A beast of a laptop

Last week, I purchased an Acer Nitro 5, with an Athlon 5 2600U, which is nice-looking, fast fast fast, great Radeon Vega 7 (iirc), and a true gaming laptop. It comes with a 1TB drive; I just replaced it with an 1TB SSD. It only comes with the bare minimum of 8GB RAM, and, considering that the graphics take up ~3GB, you need to bump it up.

I am awaiting 2 16GB sticks, so it'll be overkill in terms of RAM. And then it'll be a mofo of a powerful laptop.

I did have to create the 100MB FAT32 drive with GpartEd, with the esp flag set, then, in the installer, set it /boot/efi, and then all was well. Kind of silly, but it gets past the %#%&&^%$ UEFI crapola.

Just saying that if in the need of a good gaming laptop, give this one consideration.

1 Like

I am! Considering MSI Alpha 15 A3DD at the moment, but I'll take a look.

1 Like

We are currently preparing the Manjaro AMD Laptop with newer hardware... From specs Alpha 15 looks great.

I do hope so. AMD combo seems to me the only reasonable solution.

2 Likes

I always said that.

This bottleneck calculator could be handy.

1 Like

oldrocker99, I'm confused by your hardware. Athlon 5 2600U? Vega 7?

He probably means a Ryzen 5 2600U.

That's a desktop cpu though.

No. the U series are laptop APU's.

Mine is a Ryzen 7 2700U and it is a Lenovo laptop.

1 Like

Oh, gotcha. I think the 2600 (no U) is a desktop cpu, and the 2500U is a laptop cpu.

1 Like

Oops! :disappointed:

There's also G variants of Ryzens for desktops with built in graphics referred to as APU. The 2500U is also an APU not a CPU

I've just ordered MSI Alpha 15 A3DD. I'll tell you what it looks like next week.

If you want my opinion: Radeon 5500M graphics is not a safe choice at the moment. I bought the MSI Alpha 15 machine finally, and spent several sleepless nights on trying to set up vanilla Arch on it. Regardless of what graphics driver I used, as well X11 as Wayland would crash soon after being started. Also the secondary display wasn't being detected.

I installed Manjaro (GNOME edition), and it worked well. As I had used the very same opensource drivers previously on Arch, something else must have been the reason: the kernel in version 5.6. I used the LTS kernel, and now Arch works quite stable, though not as much reliable as on my old Intel + NVIDIA combo (happens to hang while restarting).

Other minor issue: I couldn't find a way to control the keyboard backlight so far. There's a bunch of packages aimed at the Per-Key-RGB keyboard, but none for the single colour version.

1 Like

I'm also owning MSI 15 Alpha A3DDK, but strugling to make it stable, system bus becomes unavailable after system sleep. Sometimes wifi stops working and stops responding.

Currently some Dell laptop with proprietary drivers is more stable than this laptop with "open source" drivers

I've been trying various solutions for 2 weeks. What seems to work most stable on vanilla Arch at the moment:

• LTS kernel (5.4.36-1-lts)
  • drivers: amdgpu, mesa, vulkan-radeon
  • MODULES=(amdgpu radeon) in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
  • idle=nomwait and amdgpu.vm_update_mode=3 kernel parameters

This configuration has not yet crashed for me since yesterday. For gaming, however, the mainline kernel seems to be a must, as LTS performs much worse. I'm afraid it's going to be much less stable (not yet tested).

[edit] Just installed Void Linux (no systemd), and it seems not to crash at all. This would confirm what I read somewhere on Phoronix: systemd is the culprit.

1 Like

Kernel 5.6.13-arch1-1 seems to work very well on MSI alpha.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by