Access Samba share from windows 7

I have a problem since stable update 2020-05-08 or 2020-05-11 (I updated the two together).

Before the update I was able to access a samba share on my Manjaro from my Windows 7, with full permissions to do everything (read/write/create/delete).

After the update, I can still see the share and all files, but can't write to it or copy from it (from Windows 7)

The specific share is mapped to K in windows.

I get this error:

K:\ is not accessible.
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I tried to boot both machines, just in case.
I searched and tried the suggestions on Arch thread "Cannot access samba shares since update to samba 4.11.3-3":

Add to smb.conf:

client min protocol = CORE
server min protocol = CORE

I tried to downgrade to 4.11.7-1 which worked before the upgrade

But nothing works.

Can someone help?

Upstream Samba has disabled the older SMB1 because it is totally insecure - and has been depreated for the past decade - so it was about time.

Just read up on WannaCry Ransomware - with exploits the SMB1 protocol.

Use

SMB2

If your Windows system is not updated - you may need to use

NT1

Samba cross platform network shares is a pain - that is how it is.

Looks like the same Problem I had too, but @philm post a Solution that worked:

DK3

1 Like

Phil's solution solved my problem.
Thanks @DK3 , @philm

Please! I have this exact problem and I've spent days searching for a solution. But I'm a noob. Could you please give a few clues as to how to implement this solution? I'm running on an ARM processor.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully waiting.

Les

A Manjaro Developer must Rebuilt the ARM Packages "samba" and "smbclient" with reverting the patch.

DK3

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by