Accidentally uninstalled everything, reinstalled it weirdly, now in a weird state

Hi fellow manjaro fans!
Recently I wanted to swap my mesa stack for a different build, but forgot to disable dependency checks. Thus, the operation has uninstalled a good 700 packages, among them xorg, many system packages, and desktop environments.
Luckily I kept my cool and used regex to compile the pacman log into a list of packages to reinstall, and now I got all of them back and everything works.
My question is, as I have 700 explicitly installed packages, how can I reset their state to what it was in the manjaro defaults, i.e. I guess mostly 'implicit'. As I understand, I might just get a very cluttered system within a few release cycles if I let them be flagged as explicit.

Kind regards,
Lars

A new installation would not have been more effective?

4 Likes

It takes me easily 10 hours to get every little kink of a computer installation evened out so that it reaches a level where I like it... :pleading_face: My computer is what fine wine is to some other individuals.

So you surely have a backup of a working system..
Restore one of those.

If you dont' have a backup let this be a (more or less welcome) reminder to start making backups.

That said: all of your package removal action should be recorded in /var/log/pacman.log.

4 Likes

I can recommond at least two topics from this search

1. How to make a crash-proof backup for Manjaro
  2. How to backup your system using Clonezilla

Long time ago I created a routine for restoring my configs and personal data. Not so long ago I wrote an article describing the concept including reference files.

Reinstalling Manjaro with losing data is also possible - requires more work though

3 Likes

If your issue is only that some packages are now installed explicitly instead of as dependency you could fix it to a high degree by:

sudo pacman -D --asdeps $(pacman -Qq)
sudo pacman -D --asexplicit $(pacman -Qtq)

Nevertheless, it's probably not 100% bringing back the old configuration and you have to be careful when removing packages.

3 Likes

If you are still in honing your trouble shooting skills this article from Arch wiki is interesting

1 Like

Hi, I'm curious about those commands. What does -Qq and -Qtq mean?

Thanks!

Also many thanks for the links posted here, it has helped me get a better understanding of backup structures.

Curiosity is all good and fine, but please do some research yourself:

$ pacman -Qh
$ man pacman
1 Like

Okay, thought about it again and now I understand it. All the advice I got here is appreciated, and I will only mark one as solution because I can't mark all as solution, also I quite like this trick.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by