After install the USB is required to boot system

Hello everyone!

I just did a fresh install on my PC and I'm running into issues!

I can not boot into the system unless I leave the USB plugged in the PC, then will the system only boot. Otherwise, if I just regularly turn on the PC, it will just go past the motherboard logo and stop there and show a black screen.

Second, when I am using the system and want to install new software, synchronizing packages takes forever. I tried to refresh the keyrings, and also update the system but this does not solve the issues.

Finally, I keep getting a message "unable to lock database" which I'm assuming is causing most of these issues.

I've run Manjaro on other computers without problems before, so I am not sure what is it this time?

Any help is appreciated!

Also want to add that I chose the minimal install of Manjaro Gnome, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Possibly an installation messed by combining MBR/GPT/UEFI/Legacy partition/boot.

During install you have placed the bootloader on your USB - maybe even the entire installation.

The installer does not prevent you from making bad choices.

Please provide some info as described here:

I had this same issue and it is caused by sudden failure of a pacman process. Run the following command.

sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

This will solve "unable to lock database." I created a topic a year ago on slow pacman/pamac download rates, which is where this answer comes from. I will link it so you can read the topic in more detail and perhaps solve your other pacman issues. (Shout out to mbod and tbg for their help with that) As for needing the usb to boot, I do not know. It could be an issue with your BIOS/EFI or the bootloader was configured improperly, but I don't have experience in that area.

I have solved almost all problems.

I actually re-installed Manjaro with the full Manjaro Gnome set up instead of minimal. Only thing is when I put the PC on sleep and when I need to use it agan, it takes a few seconds for Manjaro to fire up.

Everything else is working fine.

Thanks for all your help!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by