After install video-nvidia manjaro can't boot

hi. i'm recently install video-nvidia and when it's done, reboot the laptop and now can't see manjaro desktop. i don't remove video-linux. just reboot after installed nvidia 415 driver. sorry i can't send an picture but i have access to tty2.
manjaro 18
kde 5.14.2
kernel 4.19.0-3
intel hd 4600
geforce 820m

It seems is a laptop with dual GPU and probably you have to use either this:

and do it only for SDDM

or you use bumblebee

or go the optimus-manager road:

i have try with optimus-manager.

pamac install optimus-manager
-bash: pamac: command not found

Maybe you don't have pamac installed.
use:
sudo pacman -S optimus-manager
and continue that tutorial after the install

now i get black screen. (i dont install intel gpu)
i run mhwd and see: video-nvida is false.
i want to clean install manjaro. driver=free
you can tell me here What should i do run(optimus-manager).
i do not want to install intel gpu, just video-linux for usually work and video-nvidia (last 415) for game.
this time should not reboot after nvidia installed?

go to etc/x11 and delet all intel or nvidia files you may find.

clean it!

Now install nvidia with bumblebee...repeat the process and uninstall bumblebee.

install optimus manager and start its service, you will be done

1 Like

Now I’m fresh installed manjaro 18.0.1 KDE and update the kernel to 4.19.12.2 with octopi (don't have Pacman but try with octopi and can't install it).
I'm confused why should install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee and after that uninstall it (we need before installing bumblebee uninstall video-linux? or need a reboot before or after?). sorry, I'm a noob.

Because you wont use bumblebee on optimus-manager.

Bumblebee is a different solution, if you will use bumblebee you will be easier to finish the setup but wont have vulkan.

You wont uninstall the driver, you uninstall bumblebee only, you will use the same driver by optimus-manager

Check optimus-manager on manjaro wiki please and do follow all the instructions.

Only reboot after finish everything.

1 Like

how can just uninstall bumblebee and not drivers?
is not there https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Optimus_Manager

first installed bumblebee.
I have:
etc/X11/mhwd.d/intel.conf
etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf
no nvidia conf.

[fla@fla-pc ~]$ mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee            2018.08.09               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!
[fla@fla-pc ~]$ inxi -G 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] 
  driver: nouveau v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: intel,nouveau unloaded: modesetting 
  resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.6 
[fla@fla-pc ~]$ mhwd
> 0000:01:00.0 (0302:10de:1140) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee            2018.08.09               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2018.08.09               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee            2018.08.09               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2018.08.09               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-390xx            2018.08.09               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-340xx            2018.08.09               false            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:0416) Display controller Intel Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2018.08.09               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee            2018.08.09               false            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

[fla@fla-pc ~]$ optirun -v
[ 7545.280052] [INFO]Configured driver: nvidia
[ 7545.280189] [ERROR]You've no permission to communicate with the Bumblebee daemon. Try adding yourself to the 'bumblebee' group
[ 7545.280238] [ERROR]Could not connect to bumblebee daemon - is it running?

it's ok? now i should disable bumblebee and install optimus manager?

You always say "I installed" something but you don't tell us how so for the record:

First, YOU CAN'T INSTALL GPU DRIVERS THE NORMAL WAY. So you don't sudo pacman -S them, you use mhwd from command-line or through Manjaro Settings. Only mhwd is properly creating configs that work. Manual packages have vanilla, not configured configs so your desktop won't boot correctly.

Second: video-nvidia is not the nvidia driver. nvidia driver is made of two parts:

• a packages: nvidia-utils + lib32-nvidia-utils
  • a kernel module: linuxXXX-nvidia (in case kernel 4.19 it would be linux419-nvidia)

On a hybrid setup mhwd automatically installs bumblebee that is meant to be working with either free or non-free nvidia driver with bbswitch kernel module.

Third, sometimes you must uninstall things first to install proper mhwd setting (bumblebee-nvidia). Please use this wiki article as a reference:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Configure_Graphics_Cards

Fourth, optimus-manager needs to have proprietary nvidia drivers +nvidia kernel module, + bbswitch module as described above, if I'm mistaken, someone please correct me.

Optimus-manager doesn't cooperate yet with mhwd, so all you need to do is to: 1) install optimus-manager, 2) disable specific graphics related configs and in case you use bumblebee, disable bumblebee process, 3) enable otimus-manager process, 4) reboot. Then optimus-manager does the rest and sets proper configs. In this case you don't use mhwd and you simply disable current mhwd settings that you have in the system. So you don't have to install bumblebee or make it work in any way.

So in your case you have to get rid or backup those configs:

etc/X11/mhwd.d/intel.conf
etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

If you have
/etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf

If not, you don't have to do anything. If there are some other GRAPHIC RELATED configs, you need to disable them too. Ignore keyboard, mouse or pad settings that you may have there.

I did it by renaming then to backup files with bak, so for example:

sudo mv /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf.bak

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf.bak
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf.bak

sudo mv /etc/X11/mhwd.d/intel.conf /etc/X11/mhwd.d/intel.conf.bak

IMPORTANT: Above commands are because of the files I have. If you don't have some of them, ignore it, if you have like xorg.conf, you should disable it in the same way.

If you have bumblebee, disable it:

sudo systemctl stop bumblebeed
sudo systemctl disable bumblebeed

Install (if you haven't done it already) and enable optimus-manager:

sudo pacman -S optimus-manager

sudo systemctl start optimus-manager.service
sudo systemctl enable optimus-manager.service

Reboot.

1 Like

in wiki https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Configure_Graphics_Cards

Easier way

his after the installed driver removed open source driver. I'm after install Bumblebee removed video-linux and after reboot, manjaro can't boot. so with tty2 cannot change the chroot and now fresh install manjaro again. please just tell me to step by step how can install drivers with Optimus-manager?
(I need basic of a tutorial in Linux. just a few days ago moved in Linux for the first time. I'm Interested, but i see a lot of tutorials so i'm confused now)
I want last non-free nvidia driver (415). for Optimus-manager we need intel driver too, it's correct? for that we install Bumblebee?
using GUI mhwd for install diver it's a mistake for our purpose?
"video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee" this option will be install last nvidia non-free driver?

It's hard to understand you but I can try, although you should be using Linux Mint or Ubuntu, not Manjaro which requires more expertise in Linux.

This all can be done in GUI (graphical programs) but it's easier to help in terminal.

What do you have now after doing this command?

`mhwd -li'

1 Like
[fla@fla-pc ~]$ mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:

I have installed Mint and Ubuntu but don't like these. i think manjaro is best out-of-box Distributions.

[fla@fla-pc ~]$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.2.6
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.2.6
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.2.6
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Install non-free driver with:

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

If it shows an error, then you have to remove video-nvidia first:

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia

and then run again the first command:

After that check again:

mhwd -li

If it shows a proprietary driver correctly, you can reboot.

1 Like

video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee install successful( no error)
mhwd -li show video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee
selected to reboot, desktop now freeze. last time i press the power button to shut down and get the black screen.

Not sure if I understand. System doesn't boot or has issue with shut down?

after select reboot just showing desktop(system cant shut down). mouse and keyboard not working.

Just hold on power button to force shut down. That can happens sometimes. Hopefully system will boot up correctly. Let me know if it does or doesn't.

1 Like

yes, it's work. what is the next step?

screenfetch > GPU: Unknowne

Forum kindly sponsored by