After months of switching to KDE Neon, I'm back on Manjaro πŸ‘‹

I was a Manjaro XFCE user for years (I think close to or a little past 3 years) and I had an excellent time using the distro. Not sure why, but it started getting really slow and I wanted to try something new. I would've jumped over to Manjaro KDE, however, since working from home full time due to the global pandemic and being on Linux most of my day, I thought I'd try something with a more "stable" base.

Now, I'd like to preface this by saying KDE Neon is great, and I think it made me appreciate/love KDE and I want to stick with desktop environment. However, most of my gripes come from its Ubuntu core, and more specifically, it's reliance on Snap; I cannot count how many issues I had with Snap packages, from the usual stuff like appearance/themes being jacked, all the way to them not showing up in the application launcher or borking my audio sample rate settings when opening more than one audio-related Snap applications (say Spotify and Discord).

I get why folks like Snaps, but until they're more stable and Canonical makes the source-code openly available, I'm gonna try to steer clear of them. Anyway, just installed Manjaro KDE today and I'm happy to get some stability back. Glad to be back, y'all!

8 Likes

Welcome back! Just a quick FYI, the snap graphics issue isn’t limited to one distro, we’ve had users here notice buggy text, too. I agree it would be best to steer clear of them!

1 Like

Yeah, I knew about the visual issues of Snaps prior to jumping over to KDE Neon, but I never realized just how much they would bug me, especially when 90% of the core applications are installed as Snaps by default (on KDE Neon, that is).

1 Like

And here I was thinking of trying KDE Neon. Thanks for that info. I’ll scratch that one off the list.

2 Likes

For the time being I've removed all Snaps and it's engine. Like I stated in one thread since I removed everything related to Snaps my boot time is down to 30 seconds instead of 40 seconds.

1 Like

For future reference if you're going to play with a Ubuntu based distro with the KDE desktop avoid Neon like the plague and use Kubuntu, it's easily 10 times netter than Ndeon.

1 Like

You're in the right place here. There's a lot of us who don't like snaps for similar reasons. Welcome back!

1 Like

If anything, try it out on a separate drive or VM; It's really solid, and I personally prefer the KDE team's defaults over Manjaro's. But yeah... it's Ubuntu based, so most everything is only available as a Snap. Keep in mind, when I say 90% of the core applications were Snaps, I meant the ones that I use regularly: Slack, Zoom, VS Code, Authy, Spotify, etc. - All of which take for ever to open/close and have entirely broken styling.

1 Like

I can agree. Although, if you want to see what KDE's up to and get the latest software from there, with a stable base, KDE Neon's pretty dope. But yeah, my issues really involve the old Ubuntu 18.04 base combined with the over-reliance on Snaps.

I mean, it was an interesting experiment. I see the appeal of Snaps (i.e. self-updating, ability to easily roll-back to an older version of an app automatically/manually, easier deployment for developers). But until they fix their desktop integrations/styles and they make it truly open source to better fit with the Linux ethos, it's a little half-baked and partially concerning.

As long as Ubuntusoft is at the helm, I wouldn't hold your breath about snaps getting fixed. It'll only get worse I'm sure. And for that, thank the flying spaghetti monster in the sky for Arch. Because β– β– β– β–  snaps..

1 Like

I'm a big KDE Neon fan and , like you, not the biggest fan of snaps, flatpaks etc. So the first thing I do after installing KDE Neon is remove Discover snap backend and snapd. Also have to install google-chrome ( and not my preferred chromium since it's a snap package). In terms of performance, KDE Neon at that point becomes more responsive than Manjaro KDE, but like all linux distros, Manajro KDE can be tweaked to boost performance.

maxperfwiz script

1 Like

If you were trying to get people to laugh in your face you succeeded,

Kununtu is just as up to date and far more stable, nothing dope about Neon in the least.

Neither of you bother to reply cause I've already muted the thread.

Just telling you my experience. Every system, hardware + software + usage is different. In my system, Debian stable/MX > Debian Sid > Debian Testing ~= Ubuntu/Mint 19 > Manjaro > Arch > Opensuse Tumbleweed > Fedora (31). With Tumbleweed, Arch and Manjaro performance varying by quite some amount, not surprising given they're rolling distros. Things change and performance changes with them.

As I mentioned before, I was able to modify/tweak all of them barring fedora 31 to produce similar performance. Really disliked Fedora 31.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't see Canonical fixing Snaps anytime soon or open-sourcing snapd anytime soon, which is a shame. But until then, Arch and especially the AUR gives me a similar level of convenience. Cheers!

Yeah, after experiencing issues with Snaps, I started removing them. It's just a shame that Ubuntu bakes so much reliance on Snaps by default; Why put the burden on the user, you know? But yeah, I really enjoyed KDE Neon and it's made me want to stick with the DE.

I know you're not going to see this, but no need to be so negative/hostile, dude; We're all just having a friendly conversation here.

3 Likes

I have a laptop with Neon/Manjaro and a pc with Neon and I'm thinking in left the laptop only with manjaro and the pc con neon, only to try the new updates.
Imo both distros works just fine but i have to say that only with manjaro I'm able to make work fully my laptop asus tuff 505, dual graphics, sensors,etc.
One thing i can say, i don't change plasma for any other

1 Like

Makes sense; It's important to look at and try what the Linux community is putting out there. And I agree, now that I've really given KDE a chance, I don't see myself moving away from it in the near future; I really enjoyed XFCE's stability/simplicity, but now that KDE's on par with it in terms of system resources, it's a no-brainer (not to mention XFCE's inability to use the Meta key for keyboard shortcuts drove me nuts). I definitely gave GNOME a try, but the fact that it doesn't support 4 way window snapping is a no go for me (especially seeing as I have my left monitor in portrait mode for coding). Cheers!

Neither do I but thankfully we still have a home.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by