After update boot does not go thru

After an update my laptop does not boot correctly anymore. The boot hangs at tpl ... I guess it might be a display (driver) problem.

What can i do, editing on the fly grub to at least have a console or a default display driver ... When i do on the grub screen, the settings i see are:

setparams 'Manjaro Linux'
     savedefault
     load_video
     set gfxplayload=keep
     insmod gzio
     insmod part_msdos
     set root='hd0,msdos2'
     if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
       search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint=ieee1275= 'ieee1257//disk@0,msdos2' --hint-bios=hd0,msdos2 -hint-efi=hd0,msdos2 --hint-bremetal=ahci0,msdos2ee=ead53-0471-4dae-\aff3-af689348b2a9
       else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set-root ee0ead53-0471-4dae-aff3-af689348b2a9
       fi
     echo  'Linux 4.17.0-1-Manjaro x64 wird geladen ...'
     linux   /boot/vmlinuz-4.17-x86_64 root=UUID=ee0ead53-0471-4dae-aff3-af689348b2a9 rw scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=10 quiet
    echo   'initiale Ramdisk wird geladen ...'
    initrd   /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.17-x86_64.img

Any way to repair the display driver ...? Starting Manjaro live from a usb stick and use manjaro architect to (re)install the drivers would be possible/an idea ... (?)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Have a look at this:

Thanks for the pointer: But the issue here is not, that the drive is not found. The boot process starts but it does not go through correctly. It hangs somewhere before the login window ... (which makes me guess the graphical display driver/setup might be broken).

In a other thread you said, you switched from nvidia to nouveau. How did you switched and are you sure nouveau is correctly configured?
Also I read that nouveau and X.org 1.20 did not play well together, not sure if it is already fixed.

At grub menu, press 'e’
Arrow down to linux line
Arrow right past ‘quiet’ and 'splash’
Backspace to remove ‘quiet’ and ‘splash’ taking care not to remove 'rw’
Add ‘3’ (without apostrophes meaning just 3)
Press F10 or ‘ctl’ + ‘x’ to boot
login with password to prompt.
Then fix your graphics.

Thanks for intervening:
It was this way, in installed manjaro (awesome) with the free drivers; since the fan was so loud (because of the cpu getting hot) i tried to use nvidia proprietarian drivers but to no extent. So i thought to change back. And within all this, i think there went something wrong.

I can access the console by Alt_Strg_F2. I'd need some guiding how to re-install the graphical driver from there ...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Is still unclear to me, you are on a mac, but don't know the model, does it have a dual GPU or just the Nvidia GPU, does it needs the legacy driver or it is still compatible with the latest nvidia nonfree one ?
sudo mwhd -i pci video-nvidia - if is a single GPU and is not Fermi
sudo mwhd -i pci video-nvidia-390xx - if is Fermi
sudo mwhd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee - if is dual GPU non Fermi
sudo mwhd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee if is dual GPU + Fermi

No, it's not a Macbook (that one is solid as a stone running bspwm :wink: - and it's pretty quiet :slight_smile: ), which i use in this moment to write in the forum.

The crashed machine is a sony vaio i7. inxi -F says:

Graphics: Card-1: NVIDIA GF108M (GeForce GT 540M) driver: nouveau v: kernel
                   Display: server: X.org 1.19.6 driver : nvidia tty: 192x60
                  Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display

So, i'd say there is an incongruency between xorg driver and kernel driver (?)

From what i know only the xorg 1.20 has broken the 390XX and the other legacy drivers, but you are still using xorg 1.19.6 ... so it should be ok (i think) to use:
sudo mwhd -i pci video-nvidia-390xx
More details about your GPU family here:
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/

2 Likes

Ok, thanks a lot Bogdan. It's back now.

1 Like

Unfortunately on my system this did not work. I had to uninstall nvidia drivers completely and use nouveau to boot into graphics login.

The weird thing is that the only option to boot to console, was to append 1 to kernel command line. Even with 3 the system froze.

Any ideas how to get nvidia drivers working? I have a 1060 gpu. Xorg is 1.19

Better to create a separate topic for your issue. My guess is that you need this:

Thanks, but I don't use prime or optimus. So I openned a new issue: [SOLVED] Nvidia-modeset: ERROR: GPU:0: Idling display engine timed out

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by