Alienware Aurora R5 R6 R7 Shutdown Kernel Panic Tutorial

Not sure if this is the right section, but it seems to fit more under hardware but has to do with kernel panic. So move the post if necesarry. This is proven to be tested and solved.

How I solved this issue!

Add initcall_blacklist=dw_i2c_init_driver to the kernel command line. This works for me on kernel 4.15.0+.

For anyone else who'll find this answer. You can do it by editing /etc/default/grub:

Run in the terminal: sudo -H gedit /etc/default/grub.

(if you don't have gedit installed use your favorite text editor or
"sudo apt install gedit" without quotes)

Append blacklist string to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet initcall_blacklist=dw_i2c_init_driver".

Save the file, close the editor.

Run in the terminal: sudo update-grub.

Reboot and test!

Credit for this answer goes to this post:

These are my specs for this rig.
Alienware Aurora R5
Nvidia GTX 1070/8GBvram
8GB ram
i7 Intel core processor(8core)"Skylake"

1 Like

Was covered here in the attached link. Maybe you want to make the post as a tutorial ...

Probably a good idea thanks.

Oh hey, I just resolved this exact issue yesterday on my Alienware R7 machine. Having the tutorial up will hopefully help fellow Alienware users if they come across the same issue. Was driving me up the wall for days!

Glad people are seeing this, I did a video on my youtube channel, for any R series customers that want to use Linux. Because this seems to plague even the new models, this fix was hard to find, and I really had no other options for 2 years but to use a real time kernel as a cheap workaround. For some reason the RT kernel allowed to bypass the shutdown issue.

Forum kindly sponsored by