Amarok forever

Samba in the folder ~/app/amarok-2.9.0-2/deps is not installed on the system, that's the point. As well as other Amarok's deps.

The "system" is environment which determined by global environment variables like PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc. Directory in the /home is not a part of global system environment.

So what you are saying its a portable self contained package built in your home directory complete with all deps required,
If that is the case that seems fine to me

1 Like

its a portable self contained package built in your home directory complete with all deps required

Exactly!

Thank you a lot for this effort!
Would be nice if you could make a new build which incorporates MariaDB as well: libmariadbclient-10.1.37-1-x86_64, mariadb-10.1.37-1-x86_64 and mariadb-clients-10.1.37-1-x86_64.
MariaDB 10.3 does break Amarok again.

Try this:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.18
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqld.so /usr/lib/libmysqld.so.18
1 Like

I'm not that good to fully understand what this does, but it fixed Amarok for me.
I've read man page for ln, but still xD
It's a shame that we still have this issue not fixed, and installing Amarok from community repo leads to broken application.

It essentially makes /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so the same file as /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.18. What that does is make the current version of the lbmysql look like an older version of libsql.

This will only work so long as libmysql* remains fully backwards compatible with older versions.

A better long-term solution is to rebuild it against the current libraries. It should be reported here if hasn't already.

1 Like

Since the last upodate Amarok doesn't work anymore!

A downgrade from libssh 3 months ago worked temporarily.
Then it worked by creating two symlinks.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.18 sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqld.so /usr/lib/libmysqld.so.18

Now there's nothing left. The database is not found.

Here is the error description and previous efforts in German:
https://manjaro-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1791

Good morning.
Install the AUR version; then you must "tell" OCTOPI or PAMAC to ignore the community version.

Regards

Paulo

1 Like

Hey guys, got a CPU upgrade today from an AMD FX series to a Zen 2 and now this little nugget doesn’t want to start anymore. Yesterday, this Amarok build was working just fine. Maybe a compiler flag thingy? See my log. Any ideas? Distro is vanilla Arch.

Which package have you installed?

Wrong forum?

There is no package, this is a portable version of Amarok with statically-linked libs. Have this installed on a Manjaro notebook too. Since this problem occurred to me now after my processor upgrade on my Arch machine (no additional relevant system software updates done as far as I see), this seems to be a compiler-related problem somehow.

Where is that from?

From this thread. This is its thread, lol.

Multiple "versions" of Amarok are mentioned in this thread which was started around 18 months ago in 2018 with no replies for the last nine months. If this was the Arch forum it would have been closed with "don't necrobump".

Amarok is also in the repos and AUR and given you said

noone could reasonably know for certain which one you're talking about.

"Help us help you"

Have you tried the available packages or are you wanting a Qt4 version for any particular reason?

1 Like

Look, the Qt4 version is long gone from the repos and AUR. The Qt 5 version 2.9.70 in Manjaro’s community repo is in hot beta right now and has many sharp edges. This static build of the stable Qt 4 version makes Amarok run like it should and like it did for years. This is documented in the screenshots above. There is nothing wrong with it, only that it ceased to start after my recent processor upgrade (just used the same SSD without reinstall of distro).

What makes Amarok so special, if i may ask? I mean, it's a ■■■■■■■ music player after all.

This assumption is where you are mistaken. Amarok is a powerful incarnation of a music library software, feature-filled and with truly great user experience that elevates how you are listening to your collection. See my screenshot here to get an idea.

Looks to me vaguely like cantata, but awfully (<- opinion) designed.
I guess all that is wasted on me anyway as i use mpc as my music player. I don't even use playlists.

Their was only 1 amarok and that was the original amarok 2 running on QT3, after that it was a total disaster clementine took its place along with cantata. and then lollypop stole the show Lol

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by