Any SysLinux helper?

Hi!

I have an old laptop which doesn't play well with GRUB2 (actually, doesn't play at all). I dont' know what the problem is. What I know is that I've lost enough time with it in the past and I'm not willing to try running GRUB2 any more.

So, my best options are to run GRUB Legacy, SysLinux or another boot loader which works (I know these two work). I have used this laptop form a long time with NeoGrub (based on GRUB Legacy). Recently, I installed archlinux32 with SysLinux and then converted it to manjaro32.

So, it happens I need to edit /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg every time I change the kernel, the kernel parameters or the kernel modules.

Do you know any helper for SysLinux, equivalent to update-grub?

Cheers,

'LLo,

Nope for kernel change...
But for kernels update on my multiboot driven by syslinux, i use some aliases.

1 Like

You mean a script to edit syslinux.cfg and change the filenames?

Nope an alias (just for kernels update in other distros than sda1, again) like this:

alias sysly='sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /mnt && sudo cp /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64.img /mnt/boot/light && sudo cp /boot/vmlinuz-4.9-x86_64 /mnt/boot/light && reboot'

But it won't help you :confused:

Ok, I think I'd have to write a script to fetch kernel parameters from some file and insert them in syslinux.cfg. It won't be so soon...

Thanks,

Look into grub-legacy or lilo-linux. Read this into:

1 Like

Thanks. I completely forgot about Lilo, and I didn't know about Burg. I'll read a bit more about it.

There might or might not be something useful for you between lines 544-586.

You might want to write that script into a pacman hook, so it gets executed automatically on kernel updates.

I'm going to need to code syslinux support back into manjaro-architect at some point, so perhaps we could help each other out somehow?

2 Likes

Thanks. Will have a look into it. My idea is to have a skeleton to create syslinux.cfg, in which there is one section repeating itself for each kernel.

Kernels and other images can be directly fetched from /boot

Other OS' look-ups are completely unknown to me. This idea is coming from nowhere and might change completely after researching a bit.

1 Like

Just want to say this isn't forgotten but isn't a priority either. It will probably take a long time before I get back to this. Anyway, if syslinux.cfg resides somewhere in /etc and kernel parameters are directly entered in front of the append line, it should be easy to look up for kernel images in /boot, insert them in the append line and duplicate that section for each kernel. Once again, this excludes OS probing, as that's something I'll need to specifically study.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by