Applications are breaking after upgrading to python 3.8

Hi everyone. I updated my system last night and when I woke up this morning, some programs such as pywal and ranger were not working. When I did a quick check, I discovered that the issue is due to missing python modules. These apps were working before the update, so I rolled back the update python from the freshly installed python-3.8.0-1 back to python-3.7.4-1. I used the command sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/python-3.7.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz for this downgrade. After this, the programs started working again.

I don't know if this is an issue with python from Manjaro or with my system. If it is my system, I would like help to find out why I am getting these issues.

Here is what I got with ranger command:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/ranger", line 35, in <module>
    import ranger  # NOQA pylint: disable=import-self,wrong-import-position
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'ranger'

Other programs that rely on python had issues. This is the most popular that can allow for reproduction of the problem.

Have you tried to reinstall ranger or pywal while the new python is in place?

side note: your user profile says you're on stable, but python 3.8 isn't even in testing yet. if you're running unstable, update it?

I have just tried re-installing. I am not seeing any difference.

Sorry about that. I have just updated it.

1 Like

If you are on unstable - yes python 3.8 has arrived - and there is a lot of rebuilds needed.

Contact the maintainer of the packages affected by this and post in the #announcements:unstable-updates

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by