Aqualung compile errors

A major reason I moved to Manjaro is the availability of Aqualung Music Player. Watching it compile in 5 minutes was a joy.

Recently, both the aqualung and aqualung-git packages return an error when accessed from the AUR.

Inasmuch as it is a must-have app for me, and because I require a laptop with it installed, I wiped Manjaro and installed Ubuntu MATE on my laptop. I spent roughly 90 minutes installing the dependencies and compiling gtk2 (which must be compiled for Debian systems) and finally successfully compiling the aqualung-git package, without any errors.'

So, the question is why does the aqualung-git package return an error in the AUR, but is successfully built in a Debian system?

The last release was in 2015 and has been in maintenance mode since. It's possible it needs updates upstream to catch up with newer libraries and such.

What error?

Please see:

make: *** [Makefile:385: all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
error making: %!s(func() string=0x5594f91fc880)

And that's the error. As I said, I successfully compiled this very same package on Ubuntu with no errors.

Ubuntu is a LTS (Long Term Support) release and uses older packages to keep things "stable" while still adding security patches as they see fit.

Manjaro is a rolling release (bleeding edge) with the newest packages. Sometimes older software will not build with newer tools and libraries. Roll with it, use software that is actively maintained and you'll be fine.

There are many GNU/Linux distros for a reason. One size does not fit all.

That makes sense, but I'm startled that newer libraries would not support what older libraries would. I'll keep trying to compile Aqualung; it may yet be possible. I'd rather run Manjaro on my laptop, but I need a laptop with Aqualung on it.

Hello @oldrocker99

Some time ago I adopted aqualung on the AUR because the pkgbuild was oprhan and someone in the forum had a problem with it (with a little search turned out to be you) but didn't finish working on it and quickly forget about it.

I should finalize the work on both aqualung and aqualung-git the weekend

However I would stress out that I find the tone of your request and comments really off-putting

and as already pointed out you are not even helping posting the error output

And I posted the error 9 days ago.

just to confirm that after update to AUR earlier today, aqualung builds with no problems

Finished making: aqualung 1.0-4 (Sun 05 Jul 2020 16:04:23 BST)

not a music player i would use or plan on keeping ( trying to decide which of the 9 other players to remove!) but it works and sounds good

thank you for your time and effort to keep so many AUR packages rolling

Just saw this! Compiled perfectly for me too! I can go back to Manjaro on my laptop; the errors Ubuntu MATE 20.04 gave me were...troubling.

And my laptop has Aqualung running and Manjaro MATE, working better than Ubuntu MATE, with a notification area which crashed every time on Ubuntu :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Weird.

Glad to be back on both my machines!

I should mention that I do (well, will return to) a weekly radio show, using 4 instances of Aqualung, and it's how I do my show. Also, Aqualung plays live albums better than anything else I have ever used.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by