Architect boot difficulties

Hi,
I am a newcomer to Manjaro and am unfortunately having difficulties with my installation which I have attempted with Architect on a USB drive (choosing KDE and kernel 419). System details at the bottom - key info: AMD APU and I am trying to use Architect to partition on (an Intel) NVME drive and install Manjaro on one partition.

At first I succeeded in booting a functioning system, but I subsequently resized the Manjaro partition with this installation and this was destructive. Since then I re-partitioned entirely using the auto partitioning tool and then parted (both run from Architect setup) - partitions were reformatted and the OS re-installed. One structure I've tried is:

nvme0n1 (477G) with these partitions:
p1 fat 512M (for boot)
p2 ext4 237.9G (for Manjaro)
p3 ext4 238.5G (not mounted - for other OS)

I have also tried p1 and p2 (using all remaining space) also. Using architect, I have re-formatted every one of these partitions and re-installed the OS into p2 (a few times now alas). I've also tried grub only and grub followed by refind bootloaders. Unfortunately, in all cases my booting system is frozen at a screen like this:

/dev/nvme0n1p2: clean, 253795/15597568 files, 3267794/62368672 blocks

At first I thought the following message on exit from Architect was relevant:

Failed unmounting /run/miso/bootmnt
However replies to this post seem to suggest otherwise. Thinking that my boot loader might be an issue I tried as many of the steps indicated in this post as possible, but using the grub facility provided on Architect (pressing c before entering setup - which seems to require remounting of partitions each time).

First, manually booting using /boot/grub/grub.cfg seems to just recap the above frozen screen. Next, I tried the probe method indicated in that post (in which some abc variable is assigned) and ran with my kernels:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-x86_64 root=UUID=$abc rw
initrd /boot/initramfs-x86_64.img
boot

This resulted in a boot that was stuck at:

Started TLP system startup/shutdown

I also tried:
search.file /amd-ucode.img
which resulted in a "no such device" error. This confuses me as this file does exist in /boot (this I think from two methods: chrooting into the installation via the menu option in Architect and by asking grub to ls ($root)/boot/).

Other errors
With refind in the loop I seemed to get boot errors that indicted "ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-label/' device did not show up after 30 second..." which pushed me to a "rootfs" prompt (not sure where I was at that point.

When I chroot'd into the installation (via Architect setup) I examined journalctl and noted the following error (in red):

AMD-Vi: Unable to write to IOMMU perf counter.
and
sp5100-tco: Watchdog hardware is disabled
and
kvm: disabled by bios

The command mhwd -li also reported:

Warning: No installed USB configs!
after which point I seem to have run into a few difficulties detecting the USB drive.

Summary
I am not quite sure how to put this system together at this point (not having been able to successfully boot it). Any advice on an approach would be gratefully received. Update: I have now wiped my install so will need to start again although not sure why my architect installs have not been successful.

My desktop system is:
Mobo: ASUSTeK, TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wifi), UEFI: American Megatrends
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics (Zen+)

It's a pretty new CPU, I would try to install a newer kernel. Try if the newest KDE Dev or KDE Vanilla which come with Linux 5.2 work in live session. Or the latest Gnome 19.09 ISO comes with Linux 5.3.

Also, IMHO, manjaro-architect is an installation method which is prone to errors due to its modularity. If you accept that it won't always work you get the advantage of a more customized system.

does that fit to your problem?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

1 Like

Thank you for this. My immediate response is I think not because my MOBO is a 570. However I do find AMD's nomenclature a little confusing (and this is my first build) so I will check this thoroughly after trying the newer kernel option indicated. There is a "Compatibility Support Module" option in BIOS I have tried a couple of options in that may also be relevant. I will keep the threads updated. Thanks very much for rapid replies.

Hi, I have just tried the ISO for the latest KDE Dev that you linked. I cleared up the mess of past activities using the bundled KDE Partition Manager to create a new gpt partition table. I then installed on that with default settings: the rapid response I've received persuades me to stick with Manjaro and not play around with other OSs!

It works and was a very straightforward process - thank you... Re your comments on Architect - I think perhaps I assumed that I needed something more bespoke than I in fact did owing to my AMD setup. I was mistaken.

That's for booting a drive in Legacy instead of UEFI mode.

It seemed to have UEFI only options for specific drives - as if you could do something to the boot sequence, but in the spirit of simplicity (and knowing that I don't really understand UEFI properly) I have reverted that to the default, off, setting also in BIOS.

Thank you also for the AMD link. I think I don't need to pursue this now having acquired a functional system, but this may well be useful in future updates re BIOS updates. Very appreciative for all the rapid replies. Looks like a good community here. thank you

1 Like

And I'm glad the newest KDE Dev ISO worked for you. You can play around with manajro-architect a bit. It is possible to launch it from an already installed system - your KDE install. Just install the package manjaro-architect and then run it with sudo in terminal. Use a separate partition to install to.

UEFI is needed for Windows 10 compatibility, to start Win 10 with Grub. To understand it a bit more I recommend Manjaro User Guide. You can get it installing the package manjaro-documentation-en.

Thanks. I do have a SATA drive too so I could use that as a playground. I think for a time I will try to bed down with the OS. So far I am impressed. Thank you for the pointers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by