Are there general update issues currently?

Are there issues with updates currently?

There seems to be quite a few posts about this all seemingly with different package errors.

I cannot update mine neither. My system was up to date and then overnight (a few nights ago 300 updates appeared from somewhere).

Initially it tells me there is an error with the MS-Office links in Manjaro. So I uninstalled them as I never use them. Next there is another package that cannot be updated, so I remove that as it is a program I installed but no longer use. Now it is telling me there are dependency issues with the nvidia kernel files...

[paulharper@manjaroPDH ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for paulharper: 
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing nvidia-utils (1:430.26-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=1:430.14' required by linux420-nvidia

I know not to mess with the nvidia files, but something tells me that even if I did remove further files that have update problems, that the system would still find a reason not to update.

Never had any update problems before using any version of Linux.

Any thoughts?

First off you are using EOL kernel. You have to change it to one of currently supported. See here

After you finish report about other issues

1 Like

Hello,

I installed two kernels within architect - 52 and 420. I generally run 420.

419 is also installed somehow - I image going through the Nvidia changes caused Mwhd to install it as some point. But 419 doesn't even boot due to the drivers. 420 and 52 boot perfectly.

But in short I run 52.

Just remove 4.20 then

1 Like

4.20 is long EOL. If you remove all the linux420* packages it should resolve the conflicts. Make sure you are running off one of your other kernels when you do it.

non-LTS Linux kernels have very short support windows. If you use those it is important to keep an eye on when they reach EOL.

Best way to be sure before each update to is check the Stable updates thread.

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/c/announcements/stable-updates

The first post for each update will have the supported kernels for that update so for example the 2019-07-09 update supports the following kernels:

Current supported Kernels

linux316 3.16.69
linux44 4.4.183 (no legacy nvidia-340 module!)
linux49 4.9.183
linux414 4.14.130
linux419 4.19.56
linux51 5.1.16
linux52 5.2-rc7 (few extramodules build, but not all yet!)
linux419-rt 4.19.50_rt22
linux50-rt 5.0.21_rt15

Make sure you are currently running on a supported kernel and remove any that aren't supported before attempting the upgrade.

Also while not necessary it is probably a good idea to keep at least 1 LTS kernel that works for you installed as a fallback in case you have issues.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by