ARM release and its effect on software/packages

Hello everyone. First post on the forum. I just got my Pinebook Pro and I am learning the ropes. Loving the Manjaro OS, thanks for developing such an awesome project!

I am trying to make sure I understand correctly the ARM vs x_86 releases and their implications for software. One of my questions right now is around pacman and the packages for the ARM version of Manjaro. Am I right in thinking that the 3 branches point to the same repositories whether I use the ARM release or the x_86 one (in other words, that the "ARM" part of this whole thing affects the OS at a "lower level/different level" than the software repositories? Connected to this, I think I now understand that Manjaro does not have it's version of the Arch User Repository. Instead Manjaro users who wish to access software not available in the Manjaro repository branches use the AUR directly. Another one of my questions then would be whether using the AUR for the ARM release of Manjaro is the same as using it for the normal Manjaro, or whether those packages will not work properly with the ARM release.

Sorry if these are not properly worded; I am still trying to get my head around the two versions of Manjaro and how they interact. I am still unsure if I can use all tutorials/forum answers from the "regular" Manjaro right into my ARM version.

Cheers, and thank you very much. Looking forward to being part of this community!

That's correct. We use the same mirrors, but different branches on those mirrors.

Also correct. :slight_smile:

In large, they are the same. But, since ARM is a different architecture, which is not officially supported by Arch Linux (the maintainers of the AUR), most packages will not build on ARM without small modifications. And some will not build at all, if they actually just repackage binaries from .deb packages.

Welcome. :slight_smile: We hope you like it here!

1 Like

Also quite a new member here...

Actually the whole SW is especially compiled for ARM aarch64, from the Kernel at the base of the OS up to all the applications. There are no binaries shared between the different CPU architectures. As @Strit mentioned the distribution infrastructure is of course the same.

Wow that was quick! haha. Thank you very much. So then I'm wondering if you have a trick/way to know if a package will indeed build for ARM or if you just tend to try, and see if it works?

An example of a software I would like to install is the Desktop version of Signal Messenger. My workflow in this case is (1) see if it's in the Manjaro pacman repository; if not, (2) see if it's in the Arch repository; if not, (3) see if it's in the AUR repository.

I see that it is not part of the Manjaro software, but it is part of the core Arch one. The page (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/signal-desktop/) mentions that it is for the x86_64 architecture. At this point, what do you do? If I wanted to try to download that to test... how do I go about it? Sorry trying to to juggle answering to the forum while also reading the wiki. Sorry if that's too basic, I just wanted to return the favour and respond quickly.

Cheers!

You have to build it from source so it will run on aarch64. Or you can take a precompiled Version from here: Manjaro and Arch repository with privacy oriented software

2 Likes

Wow thanks! Will give that a try right away.

https://privacyshark.zero-credibility.net/privacyshark/aarch64/signal-desktop-1.34.1-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by