Asking for help with resolution settings

I can't add 1080p resolution to xrandr, it gives me this error.

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  18 (RRAddOutputMode)
  Serial number of failed request:  39
  Current serial number in output stream:  40

My monitor is LG Flatron E2251, the max resolution I can set is 900p. I suspect that the problem is that no monitor drivers exist for it on linux, only windows drivers. The monitor only has a VGA port, therefore I use a VGA to DVI-I adapter. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:!
This is a common error with NVIDIA systems, you might want to check this wiki page out:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#xrandr_BadMatch

Thanks! I'll try it and write back.

If you are trying to configure a WQHD monitor such as DELL U2515H using xrandr and xrandr --addmode gives you the error X Error of failed request: BadMatch , it might be because the proprietary NVIDIA driver clips the pixel clock maximum frequency of HDMI output to 225 MHz or lower. To set the monitor to maximum resolution you have to install nouveau drivers.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, should I use the open source nvidia drivers?

This is one option, but you are running a card that's based on NVIDIA's maxwell architecture and Maxwell cards have a record of not working great with the open-source drivers.

There's more likely something wrong with your Monitor's EDID.
Here's a page with possible solutions to EDID errors and setting 1080p resolution as default:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_mode_setting#Forcing_modes_and_EDID

By the way, I have this error on my main system too and found no way of fixing it so far.
(But I'm lazy and everything works OOTB on my system :wink:)
NVIDIA drivers can be really stubborn at times :neutral_face:.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by