Back Again... installs everything but grub...

Hi,

Manjaro seems to have installed ok... But it has an error with grub install...
IMG_20200315_143526010_HDR
I apologise for the crap pic... I'm using the latest xfce build 19.0.2.2-200311-linux54

I'm installing it on a 240gb partition on a 500gb m.2 drive... Can I just install grub somehow to fix it? How can I access the install?

Thanks!

I had looked and people had given other version numbers but I was unable to find them... Hence the post... Sorry again! :grin:

1 Like
1 Like

Will that help if the install fails in the middle?

I'll give it a go... thanks!!

IIRC, yes, long time ago but if everything is installed I could install grub with chroot from live USB.

But I can be wrong too.

1 Like

Is there a way of fixing this after the install before rebooting? I.e. in the live system that is running... I've a new Asus motherboard but the tricky tips thing on the tutorial thread didn't help... Bah... Sometimes I can be so dense...

Please post the output of the following commands from your Manjaro live usb:

sudo parted -l

and

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS

As said before in the thread, if everything else has been installed but the bootloader, there might be some remedy for that. If not a reinstall is the way to go.

2 Likes

i've just spottedthe bit in @SGS post about new installation... i'll try that then post... fingers crossed!!

right... getting somewhere...

Managed to boot into my installation, but when i tried to install grub-vanilla i got:

warning: database file for 'core' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download) warning: database file for 'extra' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download) warning: database file for 'community' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download) warning: database file for 'multilib' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download) error: target not found: grub-vanilla

gonna run updates but not sure where to go from there??? Thanks people!

Try:

sudo pacman -Sy grub-vanilla

1 Like

Also maybe try doing sudo pacman -Syyuu, database files not existing seems bad and that command should download them I think

1 Like
Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  608MB  607MB  primary  ntfs         boot
 2      608MB   238GB  237GB  primary  ntfs
 3      238GB   500GB  262GB  primary  ext4

This and the error messages you get for installing the bootloader indicate that you have booted your Manjaro usb in UEFI mode and trying to install on an mbr disk with an already installed Windows in Legacy/MBR mode.

see:

so windows has messed it up? goddammit... lol... well... will have to leave this here for today... will reinstall windows in uefi mode... which i was dumb ro believe it would do it in the first place... nevermind... :cry:

1 Like

You could also install Manjaro in Legay/MBR.

If you go for UEFI install, disable Legacy/CSM boot mode in your bios/frimware settings.

1 Like

but i want all the super fancyness of uefi... its ok... i just need to reinstall windows again... dammit.. but i would like to say that this is the friendliest linux forum i've ever used... no one has called me out for doing something dumb... it's been over 10 since i've build a new pc from scratch so everything changed and i've already learned more than i thought i would... :smiley: once this is all set up i've the trauma of adding all my hdd's too.. :smiley:

3 Likes

grafik :wink:

2 Likes

Did you flag the EFI partition as esp and did you mount it as /boot/Efi?

Make sure everything related to “legacy boot” or “csm” is disabled.

Yep... Turned out windows was being a dick... And wtf @sgs... Stalking me? :grin::grin::grin: I'm surprised I'm not drooling in that pic... Such a gormless mofo... :grin::grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by