Backlight service is failing on startup

How can I fix this? After failing it then reloads the service and works when I login, so how can I get it to work initially?

systemctl status systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service
    ā— systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acp
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-backlight@.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2016-06-05 13:39:15 EDT; 1h 42min ago
         Docs: man:systemd-backlight@.service(8)
      Process: 518 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-backlight load %i (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
     Main PID: 518 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 05 13:39:14 aj-pc systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0.
    Jun 05 13:39:15 aj-pc systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service: Main process exited, co
    Jun 05 13:39:15 aj-pc systemd[1]: Failed to start Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_
    Jun 05 13:39:15 aj-pc systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service: Unit entered failed sta
    Jun 05 13:39:15 aj-pc systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service: Failed with result 'exi
    lines 1-12/12 (END)

You tagged xfce, i'll assume you're using kernel 4.4 which is the default in pre-cooked iso images.
Your nick starts with 'a' , i'll assume you are using ATI graphics.
Your nick ends with 2, i'll assume you have 2 cats.
Run inxi -F and fill in your profile to make me stop guessing random stuff.

Install wgetpaste

Edit the file /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-backlight@.service
Add under [Service] an additional entry "Environment=SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug" like this

[Service] ... Environment=SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug ....

Apart from 'debug' you also have the following log levels, just fyi - emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, debug

Now reboot, let your service fail again. This time run journalctl -b |wgetpaste -s gists and share link here.
Also run systemctl list-units --failed and share output. See what else is failing.

I switched to the 4.7 kernel and installed non free drivers and now everything works properly

1 Like

Ponies, 2 Ponies. Like "2-Ponies-No-Cats"

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by