Battery life thinkpad

Hello guys
I noticed that in the last week the health indicator from the battery has gone down too much (from 98% to 96%).
I have a new thinkpad T480, it does not seem normal to me that it has gone down so much.
Do you have any advice to give me?
Thanks in advance.

This is to be expected if you keep on charging the battery when it's at 100% already!

I've done the following:

• Go to System Settings

• Type Batt

• Go to Advanced Settings

• Click Configure notifications
    2020-04-29_16-07

• There I've set sound notifications for all battery actions and:

• whenever my battery is full, I unplug the notebook from power
    • when the battery is empty, I plug it back in.

2020-04-29_16-09

That way the battery health is still going down (which is due to the chemistry of LI+ batteries) but much less than before!

So if you want it would be convenient to remove the external battery?

If you have a removable battery:

• charge it up to 50% and store it in a dark and cool place.
  • once every 6 months:
    • take it out of storage and charge it to 100%
    • let it go to 15%
    • rinse and repeat 3 times
    • charge it back to 50%
    • store it again.

This way you can keep a battery for 5-7 years.

If continually charging and discharging 15%-99% it'll last 3-5 years.

:innocent:

Today's laptop switches to AC mode when the battery is fully charged, no use of battery at all until unplugged. Your way will kill the battery faster as the battery is accumulating its charge cycle faster.

Not all of them yet, because having a non-removable battery that can only be serviced¹ by the manufacturer generates service up-sales...

:sob:

P.S. One of the reasons why I'll never buy an Acer any more and actively discourage anyone from buying an Acer...

Note 1: Yeah, I can do it myself, but most people won't be able and you have to jump through hoops to get them to sell you the spare parts...

I have a lithium ion battery and I keep the adapter plugged in pretty much at all times. I've had it for multiple months now and no degradation so far. I believe lithium ion batteries aren't really affected by charging while full. Or maybe I just have a very good power adapter and related circuitry that only supplies the amount of power it's consuming.

I don't believe anything: I know, though you might be one of the lucky ones @leledumbo is describing. As you did not provide any technical information on your system, his guess is as good as mine...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Welp I was just misinformed then. But my laptop does make use of AC mode.

Edit:
Inxi:

Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 47.3 Wh condition: 47.3/47.3 Wh (100%) volts: 12.8/11.6 model: Hewlett-Packard Primary 
           type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: Full cycles: 425 

(I think the full cycles is misreported. I would have to do a full cycle multiple times (2-3) per day given for how long I've had it)

Set the sound notifications in my original post and do as you've been told here already!

:joy:

Seriously, now: please do a few recharge cycles and see it it improves and remove the battery if you don't use it at all.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by