Be careful of the new-found malware that hijack WordPress servers

Just read this article about the Linux malware that turns WordPress servers into proxy botnet:

3 Likes

Great that we use Hugo and therefore static pages on our end.

4 Likes

If you run wordpress and not the wordfence plugin you're asking for trouble. Even if you run the free tier, the protection is amazing.

The have a great podcast too.

2 Likes

If I may...
I completely got rid of Wordfence :

• their ethics is very strange : they delay critical solutions for free users,they inundate with marketing mails, their paid version is expensive
  • WordFence is very heavy and consumes a lot of process

I very happily use very light specialized add-ons :

• Ninjafirewall that does the job silently, without system load and allows to fine tune the site security policies.
  • Zero Spam that provides a very efficient anti spam honey pot and allows to avoid the horrendous captchas
  • Blackhole for bad bots another honey pot for fake search engines
  • Antispambot that changes mail addresses in ascii code so that "mailto" on the site doesn't allow bots to find the email address

I explain some of those on a WordPress security tutorial on my french site (translatable)

Obviously Hugo is an interesting alternative, but it has not all the functionalities WP can offer.

4 Likes

Malware is really very common today because many scammers are trying to get hold of our files and accounts. The Internet is a risky place if you run your business here. Last month I managed to avoid encountering malware because a friend of mine recommended a good service that scans files for viruses. I needed to download several files to work and thanks to removefile.com I have protected myself and my computer from harmful programs. This is why I recommend checking files first and opening them later

Forum kindly sponsored by