BIOS update, no option to boot into Linux now

BIOS updated successfully.. I can only boot into windows now.. when I try to go into the BIOS to change the boot order, Manjaro is no longer there.. and when I try to select the drive Manjaro is installed on, it just boots into Windows- which is on a different drive.

I am trying to search this and see people talking about booting into linux off a usb and im getting a big headache... if anyone can give me simple instructions please. I have a usb drive i can use if needed, I just dont know what to do.

can you boot on USB manjaro ( not the disk)
open a terminal and returns

inxi -Fxxxza 
parted -l 
efibootmgr -v

This is a common thing unfortunately happening on many Motherboards including mine (I'm running a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master).

Steps to fix If you have UEFI

WARNING: DO NOT RUN THIS WHEN YOU INSTALLED IN LEGACY/CSM BIOS MODE, IT MIGHT CAUSE MAJOR DAMAGE!
To fix it, try booting the "UEFI OS" entry in your bios.
Once booted, run

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

If you have Legacy/CSM mode, write it in chat, and generally post what @stephane told you to, as it will be helpfull...

That's not a bug, but a normal UEFI update issue. The Windows entry is hard coded in the main-boards firmware , other OS's like Linux are not, it's just that simple. When you update the uefi, it erases the old one before installing the new on, the result is original defaults. Same goes for most BIOS updates, which is NOT the same thing as a UEFI update, where the old bios gets erased before installing the new one.

Use [Simple First Start]

@stephane what is manajto?
@DarkWav I have UEFI but i don't see any UEFI OS as a boot option
@gohlip So I tried this and booted from my install USB into grub and try to run the first thing

grub> search.file /etc/manjaro-release root
it returns an error.

However, I am able to boot into linux from the USB selecting search for efi bootloader.. this returns two results:
/efi/manjaro/grubx64.efi
/efi/boot/bootx64.efi

What is the difference between these? Idk which one to select because they both let me log into desktop.

now that i'm able to log into the desktop, can I fix it in the terminal or something or do I need to do it in grub?

yes.

when fixed, try again

print error, if any.

What do i run in terminal to fix this?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by