Black screen after installing a second distro

I've just started using Manjaro, and it's running superb on my desktop, no issues whatsoever. Until I put another distro on any of the SSDs. Then I get a black screen after Grub and a few ACPI Error messages (see on the picture below, they come up with other distros as well without any other problem, so it might be unrelated) Even if I specifically choose the bootloader installed with Manjaro in the UEFI settings, the screen just shuts down nothing happens.
IMG_20180819_111651

I'm not exactly sure what's going on, because when I install Ubuntu on a separate disk, it doesn't touch anything on the SSD where Manjaro is (other than formatting the swap partitions on every single disk for some reason, but that shouldn't do this, right?). Looks like it leaves all the other boot loaders intact, and the UEFI entries are there too, so what gives? :smiley:

I know... I could install Manjaro after Ubuntu, but it's not a real solution because it's really bugging me.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

I have an ubuntu on the same ssd. When ever this updates (kernel) Manjaro will not boot anymore. To fix this I have to boot the Manjaro live stick or supergrub and start Manjaro from there. Once booted I do a grub-install and update-grub and all is back to normal. Somehow Ubuntu cannot boot Manjaro and screws everything up. Maybe you have the same problem.

Yeah, it sounds like the same problem. Cheers for the answer, I'm going to try it. Did you have the same issue with other distros, or only with Ubuntu/Mint?

This is a well known issue on MBR disks with all other distros.
A workaround is to not install grub from the other distros, or if you have a second drive, install to another drive (i.e. sdb) which is not 1st in boot order.
Always update grub from Manjaro, after any kernel/grub changes on other distros.

all others DE will not install boot with their grub install ,
on manjaro boot we use microcode & kernel

start on you usb install key ( manjaro )
select your boot disk
then

sudo update-grub

Ubuntu. Have not tried with Mint, but it will be probably the same as Mint is Ubuntu based.

I guess you mean to chroot..

Mine is GPT UEFI. Happens so on another System.

On GPT/UEFI it is not an absolute to fail, depending the manufacturer. It may fail for different reasons than MBR systems.

But Manjaro uses GPT (according to the installer), so it's probably Ubuntu with the MBR, isn't it?

Now you start building a (different) case!...
First you have to know if your system is booting in UEFI or MBR/BIOS mode.
Then we can talk.. :face_with_head_bandage:

It says UEFI OS for both Manjaro systems in the boot menu, for Ubuntu i'll check it after the installer's finished.
Very strange bug indeed.

If it is MSDOS then you mixed installations. It's just not normal.
If it is UEFI have a read on this, which advises on how to treat situations/problems of loosing your boot order

Since my boot menu just says Ubuntu, I think it uses MBR.
And after another install, it's not going black but says kernel panic. :smiley:
I'm just about to try the method you quoted. Thanks.

Here is how to check it.

Both with booting from the usb drive and the ssd, it says efi.
grub> search.file intel-ucode.img
error: no such device: intel-ucode.img
I'm just going to chroot into the system, and restore grub from there.

Please check the boot entries in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. It is not good to use another grub than the grub provided by Manjaro to boot Manjaro. We use a separate intel-ucode.img which is not known to Ubuntu. Only with grub 2.04 this will be supported by all Distros.

On Manjaro we have: initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img

If you have some like: initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img it won't boot.

Make sure you have at least this: initrd /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img

I strongly recommend to reinstall grub from Manjaro to maintain all installed distros.

1 Like

Thank you, I get it now.
Chrooting and reinstalling Grub didn't work unfortunately, so I'm just going to reinstall Manjaro entirely.
Only thing I don't get is how can another installer mess things up on a different disk. I even set Ubuntu to install its Grub onto its own disk, so it shouldn't touch anything else. But this topic probably belongs to another forum. :slight_smile:

How exactly did it fail?
Please describe what you have done, so you may not need to re-install.

I followed the instructions for UEFI systems word by word, I made sure that I mount the right partitions. Also needed to mount efivarfs, no problem there. Installed and updated Grub. Aaaaand Ubuntu's Grub comes up even if I choose Manjaro's UEFI entry in the boot menu. And kernel panic at the end.

Forum kindly sponsored by