Black screen related to update

Manjaro started just fine. I saw that it needed the latest update and I started that process but then decided to delay it by closing the window. I then tried to enter Add-Remove software but that would not load. So, I rebooted. Now I see a black screen.

Hi! There was some trouble for a quite a view more users this update:

Look into that thread - many got it to work.

1 Like

The funny thing was, for me, pamac just did all of THOSE STEPS IN THE RIGHT SEQUENCE automatically, the update with exactly two packages, keyring and manjaro-system (what ever that is), and upon completing those, it checked and found a large number of additional packages. It all worked.

I seldom ever use pacman directly any more. I use it so seldom, I have to read the man page to do anything but the basics.
Always pamac, and it hasn't failed me on stable for ages.

Tried but couldn't get the login prompt up. I'm going to try again now.

No luck. Other suggestions?

Never a good idea to stop an update part way through. Never. Can leave your system unable to boot in an incomplete state, and worse case totally bork it.

The first step in this update process is to remove all the depricated opengl symlinks, which are then replaced during the update process when the new mesa stack and graphic drivers are re-installed.

You need to either access your system via tty2 (Ctrl + Alt + F2), or if that doesn't work boot into live USB environment and chroot into your system

sudo mount /dev/sdxx /mnt
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt

where /dev/sdxx is your system root partition.

Now try running the update again using pacman

sudo pacman-mirrors -g
sudo pacman -Syyu

If this doesn't work try using mhwd to re-install your graphics drivers.

mhwd -li

This will provide the name of your installed driver.

mhwd -r pci [driver name]
mhwd -i pci [driver name]
5 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Black screen, no internet, cannot resolve host

I resolved the problem with ctrl alt f2, then sudo pacman-mirrors-g and then sudo pacman -Syyu. Fortunately, I had Wifi on.

1 Like

Hi. Worked for me (after removing several files related to ca-certificates). What a weird upgrade, though!

That probably still was a leftover from the one before that O.o
maybe do pacman -Syyu ca-certificates just to be sure thats finally also solved for you. (if it ask says that its a reinstall thats ok too)

I have run into the same problem with this upgrade (manjaro-system & archlinux-keyring). I am stuck with a black screen of hell. Ctrl-Alt-F2 doesn't work, but I have used my installation disk and chrooted into the installed system as zirafin suggests. However pacman -Syyu & -Syyu --force gives the following output:

$ manjaro-chroot -a
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sda2]
--> mount: [/mnt]

pacman -Syyu

:: Synchronizing package databases...
core 138.0 KiB 1180K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
extra 1781.7 KiB 1246K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
community 4.1 MiB 1650K/s 00:03 [######################] 100%
multilib 181.5 KiB 1650K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace manjaro-documentation with extra/manjaro-documentation-en? [Y/n] y
:: Replace pacman-mirrorlist with core/pacman-mirrors? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: lib32-glu: installing mhwd (0.6.0rc1-4) breaks dependency 'lib32-libgl'

pacman -Syyu --force

:: Synchronizing package databases...
core 138.0 KiB 1150K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
extra 1781.7 KiB 1217K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
community 4.1 MiB 1650K/s 00:03 [######################] 100%
multilib 181.5 KiB 1696K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace manjaro-documentation with extra/manjaro-documentation-en? [Y/n] y
:: Replace pacman-mirrorlist with core/pacman-mirrors? [Y/n] yt
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: pacman-mirrors and pacman-mirrorlist are in conflict. Remove pacman-mirrorlist? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: lib32-glu: installing mhwd (0.6.0rc1-4) breaks dependency 'lib32-libgl'

Any suggestions as to a possible way forward? I have already re-installed once yesterday because of this and don't fancy having to go through the whole thing again. :confounded:

Install lib32-mesa first, then update.

1 Like

Hi eugen-b! Remind me whenever you are in Liverpool, UK to get me to buy you a drink!!. That worked and I'm up and running again. Thank you.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, but then you would have to invite the whole community, because the knowledge here flows.

2 Likes

LOL, the humility is strong in this one... :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by