Blacklist nouveau to disable nvidia graphics card

H there.
I have a hybrid graphics card laptop. I dont typically use multiple monitors and run any graphics ntensive tasks like gaming , rendering etc., So I thought it would be best to disable nvidia graphics card completly as though it never existed. So I thought of installing free vide-linux driver and then blaclisted noveau driver as it gave some boot time errors. This setup also runs cooler than the prime setup. So the question is ,is this the right way to do it?
To blacklist it all I did was used this:

$ sudo bash -c "echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"
$ sudo bash -c "echo options nouveau modeset=0 >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"

After i rebooted, driver for nvidia card was shown as N/A. So by that I assumed , nvidia was effectively disabled.

I read in a blog, that simply not loading a driver for a device is same as effectively not using it.
PS: For now I am currently on 440x hybrid driver setup.

Boot into the BIOS/EFI setup and see if there is a setting there to disable the Nvidia GPU. If that's present and disabled, you won't have to worry about the driver fu.

FWIW, it looks to me like you did it correctly.

1 Like

Nope just cross-checked. Bios don't have the option to select a gfx card!

Update: the prime-hybrid-440x-driver actually works!
I upgraded the kernel from linux54 to 57. It now runs cooler than before. Earlier tlp-stat -t used to give around 48 - 50 Celcius. Now after upgraded I get around 40- 42 C for normal browsing tasks!

The main reason to uninstall and use video-linux was heating issues and the battery drained quickly!
So for those who have issues, upgrading kernel or simply change the kernel and give it a shot!Things may work!
But for now this seems to be solved. So I will stick around with prime setup for a while!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by