Branch stable-staging, stable and brave

Hi,
Somehow I missed the info about stable-staging, and searching the forum didn't cleared that up.
is stable-staging between stable and testing ? how much different is it from stable and testing ?

also pacman-mirrors -a -S stable-staging complains with:

sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip -a -S stable-staging
Version 4.16.3
USAGE:
pacman-mirrors [-h] [-f [NUMBER]] [-i [-d]] [-m METHOD] [--status]
[-c COUNTRY [COUNTRY...] | [--geoip] | [--continent]]
[-l] [-lc] [-q] [-t SECONDS] [-v] [-n]
[--api] [-S/-B BRANCH] [-p PREFIX]
[-P PROTO [PROTO...]] [-R] [-U URL]
pacman-mirrors: error: argument -S/-B/--set-branch: invalid choice: 'stable-staging' (choose from 'stable', 'stable-stating', 'testing', 'unstable')

and then:

sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip -a -S stable-stating
::INFO Branch in config is changed
.: ERROR: Invalid setting in /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf
'Branch = stable-stating'; EXPECTED stable|testing|unstable|stable-staging

there seems to be some confusion between stable-staging and stable-stating !

final question, why is for example brave newer and being updated on stable but not on testing ? when in testing or unstable, it seems to use an older version and not be updated. is this normal ?

Thanks !

Yes. That's it.

1 Like

There is no such thing as 'stable-stating' .. you are typing it wrong. :wink:

Your other question probably has to do with your mirrors. But I guess its possible.

• If you're a N00b or want a stable system: Take Stable
  • If you're a bit of a tinkerer and want the new stuff before the others but don't mind small stuff breaking every now and then: Take Staging (with a G :wink: )
  • If you're a Linux aficionado: Take Testing (but don't whine and complain if stuff breaks for a couple of hours / days depending on your mirror setup, please!)
  • If you're a hacker and developer and want to become member of the Manjaro Team: Take Testing and Stable on different partitions!

:innocent: :grin::+1:

P.S. Yes, I've seen mirrors that poll stable updates more often than unstable...

The problem with using pacman-mirrors to switch tp stable-staging has been addressed. Right now you can switch because of the type with "stable-stating".

API:
-a, --api [-p PREFIX][-R][-S/-B|-G BRANCH][-P PROTO [PROTO ...]]
-S, -B, --set-branch {stable,stable-stating,testing,unstable}

And yes, stable-staging is between testing and stable. Read more here: [Stable-Staging Update] 2020-02-26 - Kernels, Mesa, LibreOffice, Pamac 9.4-rc, Blender 2.82, NetworkManager

thanks for the link.

yes, pacman-mirrors has that typoo with stable-stating, which doesn't let it change to stable-staging ( of course changing mirrorlist works ). is this bug reported ?

the point was that it wasn't me that was typing it wrong, but pacman-mirrors :slight_smile: look carefully :slight_smile:

Oh. I see now.

I am sorry for ever doubting you :wink:

(pacman-mirrors recently had a quick push .. like 12 hours ago .. to fix something, and yes .. I notice now some typos too, also in man page .. we can maybe ping @linux-aarhus then because its from them)

heh ... you do well in doubting random strangers in the internet ! :slight_smile:
Its very very very easy to miss, so don't take my previous reply as aggressive, i was just pointing out that bug :slight_smile:

thanks, i followed that tip and changed some mirrors.
the UK ones, seemed to have been syncked in less than 15 minutes, but still I got the same problem, which its actually brave-beta.

brave-beta testing: 1.4.91-1
brave-beta stable: 1.5.102-1

I'll DM the Manjaro Team for them to check at the source...

Then thats probably a candidate for

thanks guys ! super helpfull ! ( i am out of the loop at the proceedings on how to report bugs )

Stable staging was implemented to push updates from testing while waiting for others that aren't ready yet for stable branch like the Plasma 5.18.x packages.

Fixed

2 Likes

It's apparently normal. I've been told:

stable , staging and unstable have brave updated. Not testing as we didn't do a snap there.

So for some or other reason (I'm not going to probe any further as the dev is a very busy guy) testing does not have brave updated, but IMHO you can still go to the AUR...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:upside_down_face:

Cheatsheet.
After --set-branch select your BRANCH stable,stable-stating,testing,unstable.

sudo pacman-mirrors --country Bulgaria Denmark Czech Germany France --api --set-branch unstable -P https && sudo pacman -Syyuu

That's it.

OK, I am going to try to explain so that this thread is resolved:

The problem was, already fixed, that there was a typoo in pacman-mirrors with stable-stating instead of stable-staging.
This was quickly fixed, so ... all is good ... can be closed !

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by