Broadcom BCM43224 - Wifi not working

Run:

nmcli networking on

run:

ip link show

Your adapter ID from that command, substitute in this command in place of wlp**s0:

sudo nmcli dev set wlp**s0 managed yes
1 Like

First command output Error: NetworkManager not running. Still run the others? I'll assume not.

WTF

sudo systemctl start NetworkManager
sudo systemctl status NetworkManager

Again using mtp via phone to transfer the output:

➜  ~ sudo systemctl start NetworkManager
[sudo] password for jr: 
Job for NetworkManager.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status NetworkManager.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
➜  ~ 
➜  ~ systemctl status NetworkManager.service
● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled; ven>
  Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.d
           └─NetworkManager-ovs.conf
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2019-04-30 00:41:13 AEST; 3min >
     Docs: man:NetworkManager(8)
  Process: 1923 ExecStart=/usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon (code=exited, sta>
 Main PID: 1923 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 30 00:41:13 jr-dl systemd[1]: NetworkManager.service: Service RestartSec=10>
Apr 30 00:41:13 jr-dl systemd[1]: NetworkManager.service: Scheduled restart job>
Apr 30 00:41:13 jr-dl systemd[1]: Stopped Network Manager.
Apr 30 00:41:13 jr-dl systemd[1]: NetworkManager.service: Start request repeate>
Apr 30 00:41:13 jr-dl systemd[1]: NetworkManager.service: Failed with result 'e>
Apr 30 00:41:13 jr-dl systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Manager.
➜  ~ journalctl -xe
-- A start job for unit NetworkManager.service has finished with a failure.
-- 
-- The job identifier is 1800 and the job result is failed.
Apr 30 00:41:55 jr-dl dbus-daemon[746]: [session uid=1000 pid=746] Activating s>
Apr 30 00:41:55 jr-dl org.freedesktop.thumbnails.Thumbnailer1[746]: Registered >
Apr 30 00:41:55 jr-dl org.freedesktop.thumbnails.Thumbnailer1[746]: Registered >
Apr 30 00:41:55 jr-dl dbus-daemon[746]: [session uid=1000 pid=746] Successfully>
Apr 30 00:42:03 jr-dl kernel: usb 2-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 3
Apr 30 00:42:03 jr-dl baloo_file[938]: UdevQt: unhandled device action "unbind"
Apr 30 00:42:03 jr-dl kernel: usb 2-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 7 usi>
Apr 30 00:42:03 jr-dl kernel: usb 2-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=2717, i>
Apr 30 00:42:03 jr-dl kernel: usb 2-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product>
Apr 30 00:42:03 jr-dl kernel: usb 2-1.1: Product: Redmi
Apr 30 00:42:03 jr-dl kernel: usb 2-1.1: Manufacturer: MediaTek
Apr 30 00:42:03 jr-dl kernel: usb 2-1.1: SerialNumber: RCIRC6OB556SJZY9
Apr 30 00:42:03 jr-dl systemd-udevd[1943]: 2-1.1: Failed to create symlink '/de>
Apr 30 00:42:03 jr-dl baloo_file[938]: UdevQt: unhandled device action "bind"
Apr 30 00:42:05 jr-dl baloo_file[938]: UdevQt: unhandled device action "bind"
Apr 30 00:42:40 jr-dl gvfsd[781]: Error 2: PTP Layer error 2002: Error getting >
Apr 30 00:42:40 jr-dl gvfsd[781]: Error 2: Error 2002: PTP General Error
➜  ~ 

Redmi is my phone, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. USB tethering is off but as mentioned hasn't worked on.

This is a mess. I have no clue whats happened here.

The only thing I can suggest at this point is download a Manjarowish Lxqt edition ISO and try it out in the live environment. It does not use NM it instead uses connman. Perhaps things will work better with connman.

It might be a little awkward figuring out how to use connman at first, but it's a good way to test out what's causing problems.

1 Like

OK, I've agreed with my colleagues to just use my boss's tower/desktop PC while I'm in Switzerland, then when I get back I'll try to get my desktop working. That may save me from needing a laptop for the foreseeable future.

Sorry, but I've no idea what happened here. This looks like a full networking meltdown with no easy solution.

1 Like

No probs. Best to not annoy my employer any more by spending too much or any more time trying to fix my own laptop. I'm already skating on thin ice.

1 Like

Well, the ice broke, I've been dismissed from the job. It wasn't solely because of the laptop, there was a pressure to work a lot e.g. on weekends, which I didn't wish to meet.

I booted into Manjarowish Lxqt + kwin, but WiFi networks also don't show up. I entered in a WiFi network manually, but can't connect online. It does work with Ethernet, so that is at least an improvement. Note that WiFi is slashed with the hardware switch off, while no networks show with it on.

I booted into a Ubuntu 17.10 live DVD and WiFi networks showed.

To be fair, I'll also try again an official Mankato edition, although I have already tried XFCE, KDE and Gnome and don't recall them working with WiFi.

Sorry to hear about that James.

With regards to Ubuntu (and Fedora) sometimes hardware will work on those distributions when no others will. The reason for that is simple, they have a paid team of many developers to apply custom patches to drivers, firmware, and the kernel.

Manjaro and Many other distros only have a small team of volunteer developers. Smaller distros do not have the resources of the big Linux enterprise distros.

So, yes you will find sometimes that the commercial distros do have a bit wider hardware support. Some Broadcom chips are just very difficult to get working in Linux. Perhaps you should just stick with a distro that gives you out of the box support for your wifi until such time as Manjaro begins working with your hardware.

Best of luck to you James.

1 Like

I just found a post on the Arch forum that bcm43224 also supports the brcmsmac kernel module. So you could try a modprobe on the brcmsmac driver to see if you can get that driver to work with your adapter. Broadcom is crazy with all their wacky drivers.

1 Like

OK I did that (modprobe brcmsmac, there was no output), but the network manager is still not running and fails at boot.

Have you made backups. I hate to say it, but your networking is so broken that it really needs to be restored to a good working state to have any success. That means a reinstall or a restore from backup.

If I was actually able to physically work on your machine I might have a chance of getting your networking repaired. Doing so remotely is next to impossible with your networking this fundamentally broken.

Sorry to say it, but I don't think I can do much for you remotely. I hope you can get it sorted, and best of luck with your employment situation.

1 Like

Yeah I've made backups and home is on another partition.

1 Like

Hmm, even while running the Ubuntu Manjarowish KDE lxqt + kwin bootloader just now, I get a

[FAILED] to start Modem Manager
See `systemctl status ModemManager.service` for details

The error is: failed to create PolicyKit authority: 'Error initializing authority: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.Policy'

Running the KDE Stable 18.0.4 LiveCD started the network manager and modem manager. WiFi networks also show while running the LiveCD.

I installed manjaro-kde-18.0.4-stable-x86_64.iso and restarted but got an error:

GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

error: file `/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod` not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> 

I tried to update grub in the liveCD but got the error:

/usr/bin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of overlay

Going through https://askubuntu.com/questions/266429/error-file-grub-i386-pc-normal-mod-not-found. I'll try to boot into the liveCD and run sudo grub-install /dev/sda1. Got

Installing for x86_64_efi platform.
grub-install: error: cannot find EFI directory.

Will try https://askubuntu.com/questions/88384/how-can-i-repair-grub-how-to-get-ubuntu-back-after-installing-windows#88432.

This is for Ubuntu, so trying is risky without really knowing what I'm doing. However, I have already done so, and managed to update the grub file, but it only found a manjaro theme file and a ubuntu, and still has the same error on booting.

I'll move this to a separate issue.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by