Brother MFC-J880DW Network Scanner not recognized by sane

I'm trying to scan something from over the network. Unfortunately, xsane doesn't recognize my scanner, and so does scanimage -L.

I've went on to try and install the brother drivers from the AUR onto my system, so I installed the packages brscan4 and brother-mfc-j880dw separately. Unfortunately, I can't note any change whatsoever.

I've also tried to enter the IP of the brother device in my local network into the /etc/sane.d/net.conf file. (i.e., I just put the IPv4 there on a new line). Unfortunately, again, it was to no avail.

Any ideas on what else I could try to troubleshoot this problem?

Before you start messing with Brother drivers try installing the package "simple-scan" and see if that can detect your printer and scan to it. I suggest rebooting both devices first after install of simple-scan and give the printer about 30 seconds to make sure it is network connected first before running simple-scan.

After installing the brscan4 using the AUR you need to issue the following command
"sudo brsaneconfig4 -a name=scanner model=MFC-j880DW ip=192.168.1.25"
change the 192.168.1.25 to the address of your printer.
I like xsane for scanning and you may need to install xsane.

2 Likes

What @bobc said. :+1:

This is one of the reasons why I do not use the AUR for installing brother drivers.
Their brother driver tool does a much better job of downloading and installing the correct drivers, they even create uninstall scripts in the process (best to create a sub directory to hold and run these from first). Nice thing is it will ask you for the IP address during install. You just need either dpkg, or rpm-org, from the AUR before running the tool. There's tutorials on how to do this all over the forums.

Oh, and BTW. Welcome to Manjaro, we're glad to have you aboard.

Forum kindly sponsored by