Bspwm edition 18.0-beta

This is testing for the 18.0 release of bspwm edition:

Screenshot%20from%202018-09-05%2022-30-33

Bspwm edition is facing some big changes from the previous release a year ago. Since there is now bspwm-minimal to satisfy the needs for the absolute minimalism and bspwm-mate is no longer maintained, bspwm edition now aims to provide a more complete desktop experience than before. Changes include:

• spacefm has been replaced with pcmanfm, which provides better handling of encrypted volumes and out of the box mounting of android phones among other things
  • mate-polkit-agent and gnome-keyring have been included for ease of use
  • compton settings have been optimized to reduce screen tearing and flickering. Compton is enabled by default
  • rofi launcher bound to the super key has been optimized for speed
  • limepanel has gained support for system tray. Disabled by default
  • theming has been brought in line with the i3 edition with hopes of making the settings profiles compatible in the future
  • default browser is now Firefox instead of Chromium, for lighter ram usage, better privacy defaults and netflix support
  • lightdm as display manager instead of getty
  • some additional scripts and innovative ways to manage your windows (resizetopresel.sh)
  • bugfixes

Screenshot%20from%202018-09-05%2022-36-15

Comments and ideas are welcome, have fun testing it!

14 Likes

It boots to blank background and a mouse cursor. I tried to boot it from disk with a custom Grub entry. I tried with amdgpu friendly kernel parameters. I will modify then kernel parameters to defaults.
Edit: Checksums match.

Update: killall compton makes the desktop appear. There is something wrong in compton.conf for my AMD card.
Update2: I can launch compton after having killed it, but I cannot login with compton being autostarted.
Also:

• ~/.config/bspwm/autostart line 33: a closing & is missing
  • ~/.config/bspwm/bspwmrc line 8: does the cloding ; have to be there?
  • ranger rc.conf should be show_hidden true IMHO
  • ranger doesn't open text files in TTY and its icons look ugly in TTY
2 Likes

Change the backend option to xrender, I have the same problem. I answered in the other thread

Thank you both for the excellent data!

To fix:

• Change Compton backend, add comments about glx. Or maybe set the backend with a script? Glx is really better for Intel graphics, but definate no-go for default if it doesn't work with amd
  • update mygtkmenui menu files
  • add handling for unset locale in sterminal
  • do something about the Ranger tty issues
  • clean autostart and bspwmrc

What would I do without you wonderful testers? :blush:

1 Like

I'm wondering why it is amd_ucode.img in the ISO and amd-ucode.img when I install it with pacman.

No idea.

I found the solution to the Ranger not opening text files in console, profile was not being sourced and $EDITOR was set to vim. Fixing the icon issue is much more difficult because it is in python...

Same mhwd-live issue as in Openbox 18 beta 6

/var/log >>> cat mhwd-live.log
Running MHWD...
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/catalyst/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-340xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-390xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-304xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
> Using config 'video-linux' for device: 0000:00:01.0 (0300:1002:9830) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc Kabini [Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series]
> Installing video-linux...
warning: database file for 'core' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'extra' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'community' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
warning: database file for 'multilib' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)
Using default
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/video-linux/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0380
Processing classid: 0302
:: Synchronizing package databases...
downloading mhwd.db...
error: target not found: lib32-vulkan-intel
error: target not found: lib32-vulkan-radeon
error: target not found: lib32-libva-vdpau-driver
error: target not found: lib32-mesa-vdpau
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!
MHWD DONE

Updated bspwm settings now in unstable. I even managed to disable the Ranger icons in TTY (those python courses I took in summer paid off :blush: ).

not so much a testing post, but i'd be interested to know what some of the new window controls do.
while my bspwm setup is solid, it's always nice to learn new tricks

Make a presel or a receptacle, trigger the script and see

Multilib enabled, I reuploaded the iso and other files in place. The issues should now be fixed, except the sterminal fix update was not yet included in the iso. It should be in repos by now though.

i am not experienced in tiling WMs.

i want to try this and convert the panel to a vertical panel on the left. is this possible with this panel (what is its name?) or do i have to use another panel?

if i have to replace the current panel, which panel (compatible with bspwm) supports a vertical mode?

It is limepanel, a small dash script that pipes text to lemonbar. Even the the icons are just icon font glyphs. You really don't want to convert it to vertical layout even if you could. But with your scripting skills, you can probably edit easily. But I don't think lemonbar supports vertical alignment.

Some panels/docks that do support it and work with bspwm are

• xfce4-panel
  • mate-panel
  • docky/plank
  • avant window navigator (see the setup of @xircon)

Bspwm is ewmh compliant, so most panels should work. Some might require more tweaking than other though.

1 Like

i have heard about lemonbar before. i think i have used tint2 in openbox before, too.

this version is now installed in virtualbox.

is there a way to pass the ALT, CTRL, and SUPER keys to virtualbox?
i have quickly searched, but have not found a conclusive answer. without having these modifier keys be sent to virtualbox, tiling WMs cannot really be tested in virtualbox.

can qemu solves this problem, if there no easy solution for virtualbox?

Yes. Keyboards: capture keyboard

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html

For testing, one good way is to use the live iso from the local hard drive with a custom grub entry. Much better performance than live USB or virtual box. If you want to make persistent changes, install to a USB key with manjaro architect. Virtual box works, but it is an unnecessary pain.

About sound problem. Some users experienced the lost of the sound from the system, in my case both in stable and unstable branch. The first time a new install of pavucontrol solved the issue, but not the second one: I could solve it only with the following Chrysostomus step:

Adding this text: pkill pulseaudio && dbus-launch
at the beginning of this line pulseaudio --start &
to get this: pkill pulseaudio && dbus-launch pulseaudio --start &
in ~.config/bspwm/autostart.

Are we still in the same situation with the next release or we can avoid with this possible issue? Because if a new user ends in this problem and has to waste hours to find this workaround, well, it's unconfortable.

I've tried to set the suitable autostart options for the sound, but I'm not sure how well it works for different systems. You can test the current configuration to see how well it works.

1 Like

It's not easy anyway, I had audio problems several days after the installation of the system, and I still don't know what kind of actions started that issue. So it's very hard to figure out new settings to prevent it.

Do we have/need a clipboard manager? I'm testing something simple like clipmenu, integrated in dmenu for default or even in rofi. Not bad!

1 Like

I would leave that at user discretion

Forum kindly sponsored by