Build error on some packages due to ld

I have noticed a couple packages, emulationstation on the AUR for example will fail to build due to ld and I will get this error

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbrcmEGL

I found this post

and did

ld -lzlib --verbose

and got this output

ld: mode aarch64linux
attempt to open /usr/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib64/ failed
attempt to open /usr/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib64/libzlib.a failed
attempt to open /usr/lib/ failed
attempt to open /usr/lib/libzlib.a failed
attempt to open /usr/local/lib/ failed
attempt to open /usr/local/lib/libzlib.a failed
attempt to open /usr/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/ failed
attempt to open /usr/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libzlib.a failed
ld: cannot find -lzlib

Well .. it would be hard to find what is not a location.
I think this means the build source and/or PKGBUILD is broken.

.. this is an invalid command?
-lzlib is not a valid flag, or combination of options.
So that command processes as ld --verbose ./-lzlib .. which like above, fails because that isnt a valid path.

Should I report that it fails to build on Arm64 because on x64 it builds just fine

I (again) neglected this as an ARM-specific problem.
But .. given the information here .. I am not sure it matters ..
(see my comment above about the validity of the command)
How are you installing the package?
What if you do it manually, using makepkg -sric ?

I am just using pamac to build/install it from the AUR

Could be pamacs fault .. but I will also mention that the PKGBUILD does not include aarch64 as an architecture.

To try to install manually do this:

git clone
cd emulationstation
sed -i "s/"\'i686\'"/"\'i686\'\ \'aarch64\'"/gI" PKGBUILD
makepkg -sric

(the sed command is something quick to add aarch64 to the PKGBUILD arch line)

Let me know how that works..

Yeah when I went to install it I just added Arm64 to the pkgbuild file and have suggested adding aarch64 to the the pkgbuild file

Thanks I will let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Nope sadly same issue :frowning:

Is this a bug on the Arm64 version or with the package?

Not sure. I dont see other reports, and I dont have a similar device to try.

I might be the first to report, might report it on the package as well to see if there is any other reports or to at least inform there is a issue.

Assuming your board is a raspberry pi:

Depends on how you want to look at it but no it is really not a bug on the aarch64. Those and other related lib's / headers live in /opt/vc/lib but only in a 32bit image. The RPi people have not ported them over to aarch64. Maybe sometime in the future they might as they are just now getting into making a 64bit image.

This is the reason for no gpu hw decoding with the pi with aarch64.

My 32bit arch image:



Don't worry it is a raspberry pi, it's the Raspberry pi 4 8gb

hmm I see

Forum kindly sponsored by