[Bumblebee] Could not enable discrete graphics card

cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch

This should be OFF by default (ie intel gpu activated), when you first boot is this OFF?

1 Like

Yes.

cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch
0000:08:00.0 OFF

1 Like

The bumblebee service loading correctly?

systemctl status bumblebeed

Is this issue specific to blender? Does this work?

optirun -v glxgears
1 Like

Yes, bumblebee loading correctly.

systemctl status bumblebeed 
    bumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: active (running) since Tue 2017-01-31 07:25:37 IST; 2h 57min ago
     Main PID: 566 (bumblebeed)
        Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
       CGroup: /system.slice/bumblebeed.service
               └─566 /usr/bin/bumblebeed --use-syslog

Jan 31 07:25:37 osiris systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
    Jan 31 07:25:37 osiris bumblebeed[566]: /usr/bin/bumblebeed 3.2.1-2017-01-05-Format:%h$ started
    Jan 31 08:00:13 osiris bumblebeed[566]: [XORG] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/".
    Jan 31 08:00:13 osiris bumblebeed[566]: [XORG] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/".
    Jan 31 08:00:13 osiris bumblebeed[566]: [XORG] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
    Jan 31 08:00:13 osiris bumblebeed[566]: [XORG] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device for DPI computation.
    Jan 31 08:00:13 osiris bumblebeed[566]: [XORG] (EE) kbd: <default keyboard>: failed to set us as foreground pgrp (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
    Jan 31 10:00:54 osiris bumblebeed[566]: Could not enable discrete graphics card
    Jan 31 10:07:01 osiris bumblebeed[566]: Could not enable discrete graphics card

No, issue is not blender specific.

optirun google-earth
[ 8056.322221] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not enable discrete graphics card

[ 8056.322249] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

And,

optirun -v glxgears
[ 8118.877103] [INFO]Configured driver: nvidia
[ 8118.877407] [INFO]Response: No - error: Could not enable discrete graphics card

[ 8118.877421] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not enable discrete graphics card

[ 8118.877437] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
1 Like

I think this is your issue. Do you run multiple monitors?

1 Like

No, I'm using laptop. I rarely use external display.

Found this on Reddit, similar issue with a solution, it may help you.

SOLVED

TLP was interferenig with the NVIDIA driver. Will add to discussion tread over at Archwiki lspci | grep "NVIDIA" | cut -b -8 and append the output to RUNTIME_PM_BLACKLIST in /etc/default/tlp

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP

1 Like

Yes, indeed tlp was conflicting with bumblebee. Keeping the GPU related PCI channel out of power management resolved the issue.

Can you please detail exactly what you did for the next person who may encounter the same issue and stumble across this thread looking for a solution. Cheers.

1. Use lspci to identify the PCI slot information associated with the discrete GPU.
    Example: lspci | grep "NVIDIA" | cut -b -8 will show only the PCI slot information associated with the NVIDIA card.

2. Copy the PCI slot information, open the /etc/default/tlp with any text editor with sudo permission. Append the arguments of RUNTIME_PM_BLACKLIST with the copied PCI slot information. Save the file, exit and reboot.
    Example: sudo nano /etc/default/tlp
    Note: RUNTIME_PM_BLACKLIST must be uncommented(remove # before it) if it is not already.

3 Likes

It's exactly my problem but I must have done something wrong, because it's still not fixed.
Here is what I did:

$ lspci | grep "NVIDIA" | cut -b -8
01:00.0 

In /etc/default/tlp I commented old value (seems irrelevat, since I don't have radeon) and added the output from above:

# Exclude PCI(e) device adresses the following list from Runtime PM
# (separate with spaces). Use lspci to get the adresses (1st column).
#RUNTIME_PM_BLACKLIST="bb:dd.f 11:22.3 44:55.6"

# Exclude PCI(e) devices assigned to the listed drivers from Runtime PM
# (should prevent accidential power on of hybrid graphics' discrete part).
# Default is "radeon nouveau"; use "" to disable the feature completely.
# Separate multiple drivers with spaces.
#old value: RUNTIME_PM_DRIVER_BLACKLIST="radeon nouveau"
RUNTIME_PM_DRIVER_BLACKLIST="01:00.0"

Maybe a silly question, but did you reboot?

I think append is the key word here.

I think 01:00.0 needs to be appended to RUNTIME_PM_DRIVER_BLACKLIST="radeon nouveau" instead of replacing it.

That is how I read it anyway.

I did reboot.

How do I append it? There is so many possibilities:

RUNTIME_PM_DRIVER_BLACKLIST="radeon nouveau" "01:00.0"
RUNTIME_PM_DRIVER_BLACKLIST="radeon nouveau:01:00.0"
RUNTIME_PM_DRIVER_BLACKLIST="radeon nouveau.01:00.0"
RUNTIME_PM_DRIVER_BLACKLIST="radeon nouveau 01:00.0"

or others. I have no clue what to do. Instruction is too vague :frowning:

Don't know, haven't tried this myself.

This, I think.

@sueridgepipe I did as you posted and it didn't work :frowning:
I guess I will have to uninstall tlp to see if it's the reason for me, although I got exactly the same error messages and outputs as posted in those threads. Since it's too late now, I will work on this tomorrow.

I couldn't help it to test it now. Uninstalling tlp got rid of the bug, so editing it's settings is the fix, but I am still doing something wrong since it's not working.

I hope that @abhisek will check messages and point me to the right direction.

I'm sure it is just a small syntax issue, but those can be very :rage:

Found what I did wrong and was able to fix the issue!

It was not RUNTIME_PM_DRIVER_BLACKLIST but RUNTIME_PM_BLACKLIST, entirely different line, so I had by default:

#RUNTIME_PM_BLACKLIST="bb:dd.f 11:22.3 44:55.6"

which I changed to:

RUNTIME_PM_BLACKLIST="01:00.0"

and now it finally works! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing how quickly simply issues like this are resolved after a restful night's slumber.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by