Bumblebee is not able to activate NVIDIA GPU

Hi. I am currently using Manjaro GNOME on my Asus S510. It has a dedicated MX150 running along with the intel GPU. I used the non free option when installing, and have updated the system. However, I am not able to activate the dedicated GPU on applications.

arc@phoenix-pc ~> optirun gimp
[ 1299.610696] [ERROR]You've no permission to communicate with the Bumblebee daemon. Try adding yourself to the 'bumblebee' group
[ 1299.610765] [ERROR]Could not connect to bumblebee daemon - is it running?

arc@phoenix-pc ~>  systemctl status bumblebeed
● bumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2019-04-21 11:25:00 IST; 16min ago
 Main PID: 643 (bumblebeed)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 48.5M
   CGroup: /system.slice/bumblebeed.service
           └─643 /usr/bin/bumblebeed --use-syslog

Apr 21 11:25:00 phoenix-pc systemd[1]: Started Bumblebee C Daemon.
Apr 21 11:25:00 phoenix-pc bumblebeed[643]: /usr/bin/bumblebeed 3.2.1-2017-02-27-Format:%h$ started
Apr 21 11:25:26 phoenix-pc bumblebeed[643]: [XORG] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi".
Apr 21 11:25:26 phoenix-pc bumblebeed[643]: [XORG] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi".
Apr 21 11:25:26 phoenix-pc bumblebeed[643]: [XORG] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
Apr 21 11:25:26 phoenix-pc bumblebeed[643]: [XORG] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device for DPI computation.
Apr 21 11:25:26 phoenix-pc bumblebeed[643]: [XORG] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Option "NoLogo" is not used
Apr 21 11:25:26 phoenix-pc bumblebeed[643]: [XORG] (EE) kbd: <default keyboard>: failed to set us as foreground pgrp (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

I have already added the user (arc) to the bumblebee group. Any advice on how to proceed?

Did you reboot after doing all the modifications required ?
You installed the driver like this?
sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee

I simply chose the non free option when installing, which provides the same result as your command.

Ok, so you know there are 4 options for hybrid graphics

If you check the Bumblebee how too (first link), there are a few additional steps that might require "manual" intervention for some models.
See the part that refers to:
acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009"
kernel boot parameter.

If by any chance the bumblebee is not working for you, check the other approaches and chose one (only one), so you get you laptop working as is supposed to work.

There's a #faq thread which might mean you don't have to copy&paste the same thing each time this is asked:

I'm not sure if you can edit the post, but if you see any improvements it needs it can be updated.

1 Like

Hehe, thanks! Liked and bookmarked for future reference :smiley:
Cheers!!!

1 Like

That is a nice link indeed. Bookmarked!

I am going to report after I go through some methods. I have since my last post reinstalled Manjaro, because as it turns out, trying to uninstall hybrid-intel-nvidia through mhwd crashes the app until you reinstall Manjaro.

Screenshot%20from%202019-04-21%2018-55-37

I was able to open Nvidia Settings after this procedure:

1. Reinstall Manjaro
  2. sudo systemctl enable bumblebeed
  3. sudo gpasswd -a $USER bumblebee
  4. restart
  5. optirun -b none nvidia-settings -c :8

The main issue seems to have been resolved.
However, it seems there is a very visible screen tearing when I scroll. Any tips on how to fix this?

Also, how to fix that critical error (shown in the screenshot)?

Okay, it seems that the tearing exists in Firefox only. I built ungoogled-chromium from source today and was able to get a tear free experience over a long uptime (> 6 hrs). The same can be said for all chromium forks.

I would update later with more findings I come across with my set of software.

I suspect firefox is not able to utilize hardware acceleration, for some reason. I would try running it in forced mode and on bumblebee later.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Tweaks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by