Bumblebee: optirun working, primusrun not working

On a laptop with a 940M GPU. It seems it's not a fermi architecture so I installed the regular driver (not 390xx)

inxi -b
System:    Host: remi-pc Kernel: 4.14.48-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: N/A 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 17.1.10 Hakoila 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: UX303LB v: 1.0 serial: <root required> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: UX303LB v: 1.0 serial: <root required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: UX303LB.206 
           date: 08/24/2015 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 44.3 Wh condition: 45.2/50.1 Wh (90%) 
CPU:       Dual Core: Intel Core i5-5200U type: MT MCP speed: 1197 MHz min/max: 500/2700 MHz 
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940M] driver: nvidia v: 396.24 
           Display: x11 server: N/A driver: intel resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A 
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi 
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 238.47 GiB used: 33.88 GiB (14.2%) 
Info:      Processes: 161 Uptime: 2h 05m Memory: 7.70 GiB used: 1.76 GiB (22.8%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.10
inxi -G
           OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A
optirun inxi -G
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce 940M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 396.24
primusrun inxi -G 
sh: line 1:  2028 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) /sbin/glxinfo 2> /dev/null
optirun glxgears

works

primusrun glxgears
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
primusrun steam

WORKS ? ... I have tried it numerous times, I don't understand... Maybe after I reinstalled the driver...

However launching a game (even with "primusrun %command%" in the launch option) still doesn't work

edit: well it worked only once

primusrun steam
Running Steam on manjarolinux 17.1.10 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1528497815)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1528497815)
Failed to load steamui.so - dlerror(): /usr/lib32/primus/libGL.so.1: symbol _ZNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEE10_M_replaceEjjPKcj version GLIBCXX_3.4.21 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

Thanks for reading!

At first glance, you need to fix your code output, to make reading easier. Read this Tutorial about the basics, please.

Why not use optirun then?

Thank you.

Anyone?

Primusrun is supposed to give better results compared to optirun. And I can't run any steam games.

I did manage to use primus on this computer a long time ago, and I didn't encounter this issue.

From what info I could find, it might have something to do with 2 drivers being installed, or a conf file pointing to the wrong driver, but I don't know where to go from there.

Or could I do a complete uninstall, and reinstall following a archlinux wiki tutorial? Would it change anything?

Hi! I am "anyone".

AFAIK the best is the one that works.

This could have been the answer to my previous question, since "Thank you" to nothing I gave you sounds a little ironic and improper.
On Topic, this feels (to me) like a game/steam specific issue and I would suggest a search on game specific forums.
I hope someone else here can help, since a lot of gamers are here. You might add a relevant tag to your topic to drag their attention.

You can try just setting up PRIME so there's no gpu swapping.

That's what I ended up doing because Manjaro doesn't seem to handle this stuff very well. Otherwise, install Ubuntu, which works without doing anything.

2 Likes

Manjaro tries to default to bumblebee which works fine for a large number of Optimus laptops.

Ubuntu's approach is to install PRIME by default, so by setting up PRIME manually you're getting the same setup as Ubuntu.

Optimus support is known to be suboptimal in every distro, but that's down to NVIDIA.

I'm an imbecile. For whatever reason I thought bumblebee would give optirun and primusrun. I tried the link you gave, but I must have messed up somewhere and no DM on startup. So I uninstalled with mhwd, reinstalled bumblebee, rebooted (without reverting the changes I made...) and now I can't even type, it's just a non blinking white underscore.

oops.

You're right, sorry about that.

You can still go to TTY and repair, normally.
Uninstall previous driver and install new one (with mhwd).
The Tutorial is a good guide to setup PRIME, just verify the relevant conf files for modules (load and blacklist) to be correct (leftovers might break it).

1 Like

i had to go through the tutorial twice to get it right as well xD

At first I could login with the terminal and used mhwd to revert the driver change.

But I didn't revert the config files changes I had made.

After reboot, no ctrl+alt+f1 or f3 or f7 or any f will work. F me.

The blinking underscore thingy is frozen. No blink. Static. Sad.

What now?

edit: I tried failback mode, it's the same.

Use a chroot.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader#Chroot_into_your_existing_Manjaro_Installation

1 Like

Thanks, I'll try that right away

sudo mhwd-chroot : command not found. I'm trying to understand why, I can see mhwd-chroot installed (nevermind)

Yessss it worked, I feel like a rockstar! Thanks!

Now back to being a good noob and not modifying any default settings.

Optirun here I come. Now I need to understand how to launch steam games with it.
optirun %command% (instead of primusrun %command%) won't work

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by