Buzzing sound laptop speakers

This is a relatively new laptop and I doubt that I broke it (e.g. the fan hits the speaker to make such whining noise). I have no problems with the speakers on Windows. Now on linux, Arch, Manjaroz OpenSuse or Fedora I get a buzzing sound from the speakers even when I mute the speaker. I have read that using tlp to set my soundcard to powersave can fix it but fortunately not for me. If I can't get it fixed I will to get back to the disgusting windows 10

Please read this:

and post some more information so we can see what's really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies...

:wink: :+1: :innocent:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you're using, which CPU/GPU you have, ...

This is a hardware issue. Essentially, the speaker (or the audio chip itself) is picking up electrical noise from other components (e.g. the disk drive) and that's what you can hear.

If powering down the audio chip has no effect then the only real options are to use an external DAC and speakers or return the laptop for a better-made one. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

I see you @jonathon! (welcome back) :smiley:

2 Likes

Uh oh.

Look over there!

/me looks for somewhere to hide

8 Likes

That's usually a ground loop, does it happen on both battery and when plugged in? Usually ground loop isn't an issue on laptops though.

What are your pulse settings? Also you may need to blacklist the pcspkr which gives you system beeps. On my m6600 it liked to beep for everything till I blacklisted it.

1 Like

Also try muting the microphone.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by