Calamares cannot install on SSD LV as parallel install next to Fedora

In my experience manjaro does not break or have issues quite as often as fedora does, but that depends greatly on your hardware and what you do.

Fedora is possibly the best distribution for using gnome.

1 Like

@sueridgepipe

Okay so hopefully the following screen caps will help explain. Apparently as a new user I'm only allowed one image per post, so it'll have to be in separate replies.

Not that it should make any difference but I'll point out that before arriving at the partitions dialogue, I've reset a few default options. Region is Europe. Language and locale set to EN_GB.UTF-8 Default keyboard English_UK

Now the loading animation plays while it's exploring hardware config, and my first screen is this:

You will notice that the installer has defaulted to the undesired device /dev/sda which is an old Seagate HDD containing backups. Note that there are four options here, including the first "install alongside". Although I don't want to install it here, this would be what I'd expect.

@sueridgepipe

Next cap shows what happens when I do nevertheless choose to proceed. It correctly allows me to select the partition, and then resize as necessary. However I don't want to install it here.

I'm just not that it will ever be able to install automatically alongside another LVM volume. Neither Fedora nor Ubuntu can do it, AFAIK.
This is the domain of manual installation.

Concerning the difference oft Manjaro and Arch: there have been quite a lot of discussions, try forum search. The main difference: even with a netinstall Manjaro is more ready to use.

1 Like

@sueridgepipe

This next cap shows what happens when I use the dropdown to select the preferred drive. Notice that the option to "install alongside" has now disappeared.

I mentioned this as it has LVM support, Calmares does not. Support doesn't matter, it is just an installer installing packages. Those packages may be old, but one update and you are current again. Such are the delights of a rolling release distro.

I'm not really sure what you want. You want complete control

but don't want complete control?

Anyway, I think what you may be looking for will be provided in manjaro-architect, when it is completed. It is a cli installer, forked from ais-architect, that will allow users to pick and choose EXACTLY what they want to install.

Feel free to try it in a virtual machine, just boot the Beta ISO, install manjaro-architect from the unstable repo and give it a whirl. Note it is still early in its development process, but it works for the more straight forward installations.

Calmares is heading down the path of a much finer grain installation also, but that is further down the road.

This is what I would do, but each to their own.

Are you sure your machine doesn't support UEFI?

1 Like

@sueridgepipe

In trying to proceed via manual partitioning on this preferred device/partition, I get this, wherein I am going to have to "edit" the partition

@sueridgepipe

Once I get into the edit option for this partition I get the following screen. Top of the edit gui shows my having dragged the slider down to make new free space. Note that whether I check or uncheck the partition flags for LVM or boot, the "mount point" dialogue does not enable, unlike your screen which showed it able to point to the boot sector. Nor can I affect the "lvm2 pv" flag above it.

Obviously I haven't proceeded beyond this point as I don't want to risk damaging data or 'experimenting' on a fully functioning system, but all advice gladly received.

2 Likes

The question of whether my machine would support UEFI is difficult simply because the bios manufacturer (American Megatrends if I remember correctly) has a website but even their legacy support only goes back so far. Since I'm not really any expert at all on bios or firmware, while I could obviously just wipe the disks and start with GPT tables entirely, I've no way of knowing at present whether the machine would even boot up afterwards.

well - I see what you mean. Not trying to be weird or awkward about this ;0) I suppose it largely comes down to confidence. Somehow to click through a graphic installer like this rather gives one confidence. Not to say that bugs can't occur, but having to read through the exact semantics of CLI installation 'feels' a little too error prone, although yes, I can see that I appear to want exact control.

I think I am largely just caught out by the fact that I'd always taken different Linux distros to simply be close cousins and who would all play nicely together. I entirely understand this entire thing is done by clever people who are passionate but not necessarily their careers. We're always wiser after the event. Had I know I really didn't need LVM I would have chosen not to have it, but since the other live iso never even asked, I hadn't seen it as being a potential barrier to installing a different distro in parallel. Just so happens I picked this one (Manjaro). I expect if I chose Ubuntu, Debian, etc etc I wouldn't have this issue either - which isn't meant as a criticism, merely an observation.

Further to your earlier remark about the CLI installer, I'll give the net edition a go and see how I get on. Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

Sure, understood. But to explain: I'm one of those who came to Linux last year because I finally got so fed up with Windows, and in helping friends with their various A**le products, also felt a bit dissuaded. I read various reviews and previews and after trying Mint KDE and one other iso plumped for Fedora - I guess one just makes a decision. I'm not wedded to Gnome it just happens to come with it, although that said I can't stand the look of Cinnamon, and hated KDE etc.

Now I find I'm fed up with things breaking not because I can't accept that these are distros geared toward bleeding edge (otherwise I'd be with Debian or Ubuntu) but because too many of Fedora's issues come from the ever closer wedding between the core OS and the DE - and imo there have been far too many sacrifices for the sake of glossy eye candy icons at the expense of stability. Hey, if I could code I'd already be contributing.

Further reading led me to Manjaro, and as I posted in an earlier reply, my first experiences of it on a laptop were "oh yes, THIS is what I was looking for". Lightweight, clean, simple, well thought out and well packaged. Just so happens that by sheer coincidence I have this one issue around installation.

I'll persevere... it all comes out right in the end (somehow) :0)

Check your boot options in the BIOS settings, no need to check a website. If UEFI is supported there will be a UEFI boot option. I have a 7-8 year old HP as my second backup laptop, it offers UEFI boot, Legacy boot(ie MBR) and some sort of hybrid boot option that supports both.

Personally I would start again and get rid of LVM altogether, but I am aware that may not be practical or even feasible for you. Does Fedora really use LVM paritioning by default, or did you specifically choose it? LVMs are primarily used to span logical partitions over multiple physical disks, very useful and less disruptive in server environments when admins need to add more storage.

If you want to keep everything as it is and somehow shoehorn Manjaro into it, I would recreate this environment in a VirtualBox VM, albeit with much smaller partition sizes.

Then experiment to your heart's content, try net installer, manjaro-architect and Calmares without fear of breaking your actual system. Just create a snapshot of it prior to commencing, so you can reset when it goes pear shaped.

Additionally you could create another VM to experiment with a better way to structure your partitions, both with UEFI and MBR enviroments, both of which you can create in VirtualBox.

Manjaro is a phenomenal distro and IMO worth re-installing for, and this coming from someone who distro hopped for a while not entirely happy with any distro I tried. It is not bleeding edge, but leading edge with unstable, test and stable repos. Others areound here have a saying I like... Arch Users are Manjaro Users Beta testers.

EDIT :

The more internet searching I'm doing I come to the same conclusion.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this issue - a phenomenal response actually to a newbie, and perhaps a good testament to the engagement of the Manjaro community as a whole.

I say this because, reading the later posts, I have to concur. It's purely my bad luck that I have this issue at all. Since my backups and music are on discrete drives, it's nothing more than a time issue to wipe and reinstall Fedora. I'll do so this evening, installing Manjaro first!

Not that you may not see me again the moment "something else" crops up ;0)

Lvm also has significant performance penalty, so if you do not need its features, you can get faster system by ditching it.

2 Likes

You'll want to boot from Manjaro GRUB, so install Fedora first and Manjaro second.

Manjaro doesn't boot from other distro GRUBs, see

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode#GRUB

1 Like

Okay will do

I've recently tried Fedora and Korora myself and was not happy about the default LVM and neither about their default BTRFS layout.
When reinstalling Fedora, copy the /home/user folder and then back to the fresh install, but the user name and password should be kept the same. Also, make a list of applications in your menu or even copy the package installer log, might be /var/log/yum.log or dnf.log
About Grub, @sueridgepipe is absolutely right. Otherwise you would need to edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom to add an entry which would boot Manjaro.
Good luck!

Just to close this one out since you've all been so helpful:

After thinking through certain of the replies above I realised there was no real reason to keep Fedora - it simply happened to be what I'd spent more time with and had become familiar. So I installed Manjaro via Calamares using the option to create a new partition with boot/grub flag (I checked: my board won't support UEFI).

Have to say what an utterly superb distro this is! Wow. Clearly a lot of thought gone into it - a few small things I'd like to change but overall fantastic. Thought I'd miss Gnome and all its funky business but found I haven't at all - I'm quite happy to Xfce :0)

1 Like

Maybe you want to check the newest Manjaro Gnome ISO, just as a live USB

All credit to @Ste74, but I really would not recommend gnome on manjaro if coming from fedora (even though I use and like it myself). This is because rolling release and gnomes development model have historically been difficult to maintain together. In rolling release, gnome updates have often broken something because of backwards incompatible changes (although most of this can be avoided by not using any custom themes or extensions). And while things like wayland should nowadays just work in fedora, with manjaro you need some extra trouble to get it working.

Forum kindly sponsored by