Can Manjaro Arm run on Solid Run Cubox-I 4x4

I all.
I'am an extra newbye!
I read around about Manjaro bit I'm not sure can It best for me.

I looking for a Linux distro:

∆ can be stored on a SD card max 16GB
∆ release mode : Rolling
∆ 64bit
∆ support 4GB RAM
∆ a Desktop interface (better if lighter) full HD
∆ can do a global zoom at 96% because my old Samsung TV Is a bit out of scale and at 100% zoom I don't see bottom bar
∆ can run Kodi, rtorrent, something like VNC
∆ optional: Chrome (and crhomedriver for web scarping) or other than supports webscraping script in Python
∆ supports CEC via HDMI

I know Geexbox but no Chrome and no Rolling release mode

I really don't know as work U-Boot on this device and I can't provider you details about this.

The main goal Is use a Solid Run Cubox-i 4x4 as mediacenter and for host few simple service.

Can Manjaro di this?

Cubox-i 4x4 technical specifications: i.MX6 Quad core SoC, 4GB DDR3 RAM, WiFi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, RTC with backup Battery and a variety of connectivity options such as HDMI output, Gigabit Ethernet, Two USB-2.0 ports, MicroUSB port for system console, eSATA, Optical audio out along with an InfraRed receiver and transmitter. The minicomputer supports full HD multi format video decoding at over 100 Mbps bit rate, as well as encoding of Full-HD video streams.

you would be better off with this
LibreELEC is "just enough OS" to run the Kodi media centre. LibreELEC is a Linux distribution built to run Kodi on current and popular hardware. The project is an evolution of the OpenELEC project. LibreELEC software will be familiar to OpenELEC users. The distribution runs on x86 desktop computers, Raspberry Pi devices and ODroid and WeTek computers.
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=libreelec

2 Likes

Might want to correct your post to reflect that it runs on both x86 which is 32 bit and x64 which is 64 bit. Otherwise a good suggestion.

Nope that is copy/paste from their official page on distrowatch, if they say x86 its compatible on all x64 computors it does not make a dam difference does it.

No not true x86 refers to 32 bit x64 refers to 64 bit. That said I might give it a run for just Kodi. I have the room.

I'm using a rpi4 4GB myself as mediacenter with arch linux arm 32bit , it's really a great experience. Before it ran on a rpi3, sometimes memory was a little bit short there.
The system has no desktop environment, it boots directly into kodi (kodi-rbp4) with it's systemd service, I navigate with my tv remote control (libcec-rpi, p8-platform); [be sure your micro hdmi supports CEC, I had to buy another one because the first one worked a little buggy, I guess it didn't support all functions ]

Don't forget to set in your /boot/config.txt

gpu_mem=320

so media runs without stuttering

For torrents I would use transmission-cli as you can control it remotely from another browser. There is even an addon in Kodi to check your downloads from transmission.

As for using a 64bit installation of alarm, not all packages I mentioned are available, so you might consider using 32bit. It could be tuff installing alarm as a newbie, if so Librelec is maybe the easiest solution as @mandog pointed to.

1 Like

Definitely not:

∆ can be stored on a SD card max 16GB - no can do. I have 30GB root (home as separate partition) and struggle because lack of space. Sure it will work after install and all will be fine, but with time, it will grow. All packages for update are saved in cache, filling up space. You can cleanse them once in a while but you have logs and other places that will grow with time. With some expertise you can manage it, but it's not comfortable on the long run.

Basically, all rolling release distros will have this issue. If you want something for TV, stick with LTS release, which is way better.

Rolling releases MUST be updated, otherwise if you wait too long, the newest update can break them. For TV, you need something stable, robust, maintenance free. Manjaro or any rolling release isn't that. Rolling release HAVE TO MAINTAINED, so this is not good for newbies, unless you love tinkering under the hood and will learn quickly how Arch distro works. In other words, reading Arch wiki is something you love...

Actually I found regardless of claims otherwise rolling releases are far more stable and solid than static, at least that is the case with Manjaro.

1 Like

You didn't understand me. On the long run, rolling releases can be very stable but... that depends on the user. With an inexperienced user this won't work well. Manjaro isn't install and forget type of distro and never be. It will break without constant updates, it will break if you won't maintain it, it will break from updates possibly, unless you won't fix it (some small interventions are needed from time to time). This is all easy and effortless for experienced users, but for Linux newbies it can be frustrating.

Of course if you like to learn how Arch distros work and you don't mind breaking it few times and finding solutions to issues that don't exist on LTS distros, then maybe you will be happy with Manjaro.

Just imagine: with every update things are moving, changing, getting rid of, added, configs are changing, etc. This is unstable by design. It can take year or two, but eventually you will encounter some serious issue that you need to fix yourself. This is easy if you follow Announcements and know the insights of the distro.

Some examples of maintanance:

• cleaning pacman cache (without it, it will grow till your partition is out of space)
  • monitoring new configs in form of pacnew files and integrating them with current configs (without it some packages may miss some features or even malfunction)
  • remove orphaned packages (with wrong decision you will break things)
  • reinstall/recompile AUR packages after some main updates to get them work
  • clean logs or set a cap, because logs could use few GB of space

and so more.

Again, this isn't install and forget type of distro.

1 Like

Many additions and extensions have been added to the x86 instruction set over the years, almost consistently with full backward compatibility.[b] The architecture has been implemented in processors from Intel, Cyrix, AMD, VIA Technologies and many other companies; there are also open implementations, such as the Zet SoC platform (currently inactive).[2] Nevertheless, of those, only Intel, AMD, VIA Technologies and DM&P Electronics hold x86 architectural licenses, and from these, only the first two are actively producing modern 64-bit designs.

well it is 243 mb i tried it and it did what it said on the tin. updating its as easy to reinstall for what it is and the size

You do realize EVERYTHING there applies to ALL OS's, right?

You know how well it plays along side Manjaro? As for the 32 vs 64 bit I won't argue about it, cause as far as Microsoft is concerned x86 is 32 bit software where x64 is 64 bit. Now if the Linux world thinks differently fine makes no real difference to me.

You rely on microsoft to do your thinking for you? :scream: :scream_cat: :grin:

Whilst x64 may mean x86-64, x86 does not necessarily mean 32bit.

I'll shut up now. :slight_smile:

For all the regular users who replied to the op without reading the last paragraph this post is about Manjaro arm. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So all your suggestions might not be valid.

No. Manjaro arm cannot work on this. As. We do not have this device and we dont know how it works as in arm space every device is unique and have its own boot methods.

Thank you for your interest in Manjaro Arm project.

You should try Armbian, LibreElec or CoreElec.

All the best with your search.

Moving to arm section.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by