Can os-prober use /etc/os-release in addition to /etc/lsb-release

Installing a dual-boot with Arch (and perhaps other systems, though I do know it is installed on Kubuntu), or updating grub when dual-booting with Arch is very slow unless lsb-release is installed on Arch. Apparently (at least for systemd), the standard is os-release, according to the answer here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47838800/etc-lsb-release-vs-etc-os-release

yay lsb-release
1 community/lsb-release 1.4-18 (8.1 KiB 15.9 KiB) (Installed)
    LSB version query program
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)
==> 

Yes, lsb-release is on my Manjaro partition (even KDE-Dev Minimal), but it is not on my Arch partition. So, until I installed it on Arch, every Manjaro upgrade that would want to update grub (so practically every day on KDE-Dev) would pause at the end for 10 minutes or more looking for my Arch partition.

Simple fix. Install lsb-release on your Arch install...?

Yes, that solved my issue, but this Feature Request is intended to prevent the issue from arising in the first place.

Pretty sure Manjaro does not maintain OS Proper, so you have to ask it's developers. :slight_smile:

Usually I look for the Packager attribute to see if it is an upstream Arch package.

$ pacman -Qi os-prober
Name            : os-prober
Version         : 1.77-1
Description     : Utility to detect other OSes on a set of drives
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://joey.kitenet.net/code/os-prober/
Licenses        : GPL3
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : sh
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : None
Optional For    : grub
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 143.00 KiB
Packager        : Philip Mueller <philm@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : Sat 13 Jul 2019 05:16:51 AM EDT
Install Date    : Sun 05 Jul 2020 04:48:06 AM EDT
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

Sure, Philip has packaged it (a year ago), but it's not developed by Manjaro.
There's a URL in that info though. :slight_smile:

os-prober is part of Debian and they still use lsb-release. There might be a way to patch os-prober. We have to see.

This is in the Arch linux repro, packaged by Felix Yan felixonmars@archlinux.org
If you do not understand Arch is intended for serious users that Know and install what is needed for them, so why would they include something that is not needed by the majority of their users, some the spins do include it by the way

Thanks for pointing me to Debian. I am not sure I follow their scripting, but it appears to me that os-prober does query /etc/os-release at least to return some names

But only after trying /etc/lsb-release first:

Forum kindly sponsored by