Cannot boot after updating this morning (XFCE)

Hi!

I have a nearly fresh install from about 2 weeks ago. It's been running great so far but I've been unable to boot today. I think I pulled in some updates this morning but I also was trying to get a game running with Lutris, so I'm not sure exactly what caused the issue.

When booting, I am prompted to enter my luks password as usual, then I just get a black screen. The fans and lights are all on.

I followed this guide and had to do step 7 as nothing else worked: Can't login - black screen & chroot guide

I was able to chroot into the machine and see my files but sudo pacman -Syyu said it was already up to date. I'm not sure what to try next as I don't know where to look for log files. I thought about downgrading the kernal to 5.3, although I've only ever run 5.4 on this machine, so I'm not sure if it would help much.

Any ideas on this? Could it be the lutris/wine packages I was installing yesterday? (lutris, dxvk-bin, wine-gecko, wine-mono, wine-staging, and an extra wine version ge-protonified-something)

First things first. To be easily able to get info from your pc it would be good if you would install pastebinit. It allows you send information directly to pastebin and you only need to type in the address displayed to give us the info we need.
You can install it with pacman -S pastebinit
Then you should post us the links you get with inxi -Fxxxza | pastebinit,
sudo dmesg -l alert,err,crit | pastebinit and journalctl -b0 -p4 | pastebinit

1 Like

Hi Takei! Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I've managed to get it working by updating the kernal to 5.5. I have no idea what happened but everything seems ok now. I'll update this thread if I run into any more issues with it

1 Like

We also have things without need to install
(I should probably update it though..)

1 Like

can you returns

sudo mhwd-kernel -li
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by