Can't access BIOS with grub boot loader installed in Windows/Manjaro dualboot system

Hello, this is my first time posting to any online forum so please go easy on me :slight_smile:

What I want: To dual-boot Windows 10 and Manjaro KDE

The Problem: Attempting to dual-boot Manjaro KDE and Windows 10 results in a backscreen with a solid white underscore in the top left of the screen. To be clear this happens after pressing the F2 button to access the bios settings. Both Partitions are still bootable, and the default is Windows 10.

My Hardware:
|---|---|
|Version|10.0.18363 Build 18363|
|System Manufacturer|Acer|
|System Model|Swift SF314-52|
|System Type|x64-based PC|
|System SKU|0000000000000000|
|Processor|Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2712 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)|
|BIOS Version/Date|Insyde Corp. V1.08, 11/28/2017|
|SMBIOS Version|3.0|
|Embedded Controller Version|1.05|

BIOS Mode UEFI

BACKGROUND- (in case it's relevant)
Previously, I had a dual-boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint 19 system on a single Hard Drive on my computer with no problems. Recently, in an effort to speed up my computer (with unclear success) I decided to reinstall Mint. I use Linux about 97.5% of the time with the exception of a few programs that I cannot run on Linux. At some point in trying to run one of these programs I discovered that Windows was no longer bootable from the bios settings. With a live-usb I was still able to boot into the Windows partition, but after a long time looking for a way to repair the boot manager I made the drastic decision of completely deleting everything on the partition and starting completely fresh.
After installing Windows 10 back onto my computer, I appeared to also successfully install Manjaro alongside it in another partition. However, when trying to setup the boot order from the bios settings I was greeted with a black screen and a white dash. The problem persisted no matter how I tried to access the bios settings (F2 during computer boot, advanced windows startup ->UEFI settings).

Steps Taken:
My first couple hours into this mess were spent trying to figure out how to regain access to my bios settings.

Luckily I came across a forum referencing this post on how to delete GRUB files from Windows.

So that seemed to solve recovering access to the bios settings, but now I can't boot Manjaro...

Assuming I had made a mistake in the process of formatting the iso file, I went on a different computer, used a different USB (same rufus however) and created another bootable USB for Manjaro KDE.

Same result.

At this point it seemed that the issue had to do with mounting the grub boot manager to the Windows boot manager partition. I tried the auto-install options: alongside Windows, replacing a partition. Both resulted in blackscreens trying to access bios settings.

I decided to install Manjaro manually and I followed steps laid out in this helpful tutorial. I followed all the steps in that surprisingly in depth tutorial to no avail.

This time however, there were no GRUB files in my Windows boot manager partition (since I had made a new Manjaro boot specific partition). So in order to recover access to my bios settings I had to delete that newly installed partition in the Windows partition manager. So now I'm at the point where it seems a functional access to BIOS settings and a bootable Manjaro partition are simply mutually exclusive...

Steps I haven't taken yet: Another post (that I am unable to link being a new user) alluded to success after steps including: flashing the bios and adding grub to trusted secure boot settings. They also mentioned playing with the secure boot (something I've already tried).

Flashing the bios is something I am a bit hesitant to try. I have BIOS V1.08

Any help is appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by