Can't boot - SSD not recognised as UEFI

What exactlty are you booting?
Laptop? Model? Gpu? Model
PC? Chipset GPU? Model
Whats on the SSD?

Whats on the USB?

RUFUS dosent work. Use etcher.
Is the Bios setup correctly.? Disable secureboot? disable fastboot?enable legacy? enable csm?
Is Bios in economy mode for OS install?
Are you dual booting?

hey murphy
new manjaro install on the ssd, built from the usb stick.....
I've booted manjaro builds before no probs....
it's a sh!tty Asus motherboard lol - B350M-A
maybe some sh!tty motherboards don't recognize 'small' boot partitions??? :slightly_frowning_face:

No error messages? Won't tell? Won't help.

'5' ?

Other computer? Or same computer?
Important to say? No?

ah yes an example of little knowledge can cause problems....:grimacing:
same puter, in fact this ssd was running xfce and I got bored with that so trying i3 :crazy_face:
like I said the SSD is not being recognised as 'UEFI compatible' anymore...will try those commands again....:sweat:

@gohlip I copied that command from this thread Why is my /boot/efi partition empty?
so it's your fault number 5 is in there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
what number should I be using?

See this for more clarification.Heh heh.. that is just for that link's OP's case.
His $esp is at partition 5. Yours is in 1.
And... you really need to provide better information.
Clarify what is required.

2 Likes

k thanks for extra info - I was already checking out that thread :grimacing:
I want my computer to see the SSD as a UEFI drive........it did before with xfce but now it doesn't....
then I'll be able to boot methinks....

There is no such thing as a uefi drive.
Only a uefi system or a gpt drive.

gpt, use uefi
msdos, use bios-legacy.

And, if you start all over again, use gparted to set partitioning table
device tab --> create partition table --> msdos or gpt.

If you don't do this you have have boot problems and you may need a boot flag.
Even soo, that is not a good set up drive. Get this done well and save agonies down the line.

1 Like

ok my bad use of words...... so it's set up as a gpt drive, yet the motherboard doesn't detect a 'uefi system' whereas it did before, any idea why?
yes I try to forget words like msdos, legacy, M$ nowadays :shushing_face:

need more info please....
it has a boot flag

Model: ATA Lenovo SSD SL700 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 240GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 
Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  32,5MB  31,5MB  fat32              boot, esp
 2      32,5MB  240GB   240GB   btrfs

o your bios (F2, usually) is not set for uefi.
o you did not boot up usb in uefi
o you did not do..

Don't let installer convert your drive to gpt.
And best to have partitions ready before any installation.
Sorry and don't mean to be condescending (I'm particularly sensitive to this term being applied to me - I despise condescension - I see this 'superiority' applied as a matter of fact, without being aware of it) - but I suggest you don't use btrfs.

1 Like

I did all of that!! Promise!!

I think there's a bug in my bios........maybe Trump would like to complain to the chinese :crazy_face::rofl::crazy_face:

Ha Ha Ha!!! LMAO !! (is that rolling on the floor in laughter?)
Yeah, just like Trump, blaming the Chinese for everything, including climate change (he really did call it a 'Chinese hoax'). :joy:

Ha Ha. You're comical. I like this.

1 Like

ok I'm here to learn, what's wrong with btrfs?
actually maybe I'll trash it again and build another 30mb partition with ext4....
you should see the number of bios for my motherboard! It's damn crazy man! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
just like the crazy world, yes humans need to blame each other cos they refuse to accept that it's too many humans that kill the planet :woozy_face:

Nothing. for me, just too complex for simple stuff that can be done more simply. And there are resource costs.
But if others use it, I'm really fine with that.
But for you, (and screw the condescension), let me put it this way, .. I scuba dive, but to learn it, I have to learn how to swim first (then you find out later it is easier than swimming). To drive in an off-road rally, we have to learn basic driving first. To fly a helicopter..., I guess you know what I am saying now.

ok maybe I want to do btrfs snapshots for my 'datacentre' :roll_eyes: :nauseated_face:
but I hear what you're saying, life is better kept simple......thanks and peace :heart_eyes:

1 Like

There are other ways for what you want to do for things like that.
But as per my usual personality, that is up to you.

Oh, for more comic relief on Trump, here's a pdf file I'll share with you. Nah.. not secret (maybe to westerners :sweat_smile:)
I am laughing my head off, though most of my comp[atriots are seething with anger reliving the Opium wars and unequal treaties. I'm just amused. But I'm afraid about the long term consequences ('existential' ?) of mistrust to Anglo-Saxon people. Sad. :upside_down_face::wink:

well I just rebuilt it and it boots ok now!!! BUT it just rebooted itself while I was about to post here, omg :exploding_head:
@gohlip I hear you bro, the world is about propaganda and it has been for a very long time......
I dislike the AngloAmerican consumers myself....I was one but now I retreated to the countryside...
We're just pawns in the big game
I like Marcus Aurelius myself :wink:
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by