Can't create a bootable USB with Rufus from Windows 10

I am attempting to dual boot Manjaro Awesome with windows. I previously had an install working but things went south and I had to reinstall. I am having issues creating a bootable USB with rufus. I have tried several of the other install flavors and each fails to boot. Rufus offers no options for creating an ISO image or DD image when going through the Rufus creation process. Rufus works and I can boot a fresh Arch Linux ISO. It appears that Rufus is currently only writing the boot partition to the USB. I can not get far enough to open a TTY or anything to verify with fdisk, but I am confident this is the issue.

Are there other tools/steps people have successfully used? I have also attempted the same with Etcher and had the same result for the Manjaro ISOs I downloaded. The Arch Linux ISO works for both tools, which makes it appear that this is an issue with recent ISOs or something else entirely.

Here is already another helpful thread to the subject.

Also in WIKI is good info:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Burn_an_ISO_File

1 Like

there is one prog. that never failed me:

winwrite32 :slight_smile: ( win32diskimager )

The latest Manjaro Awesome builts can be found here, this could fix issues with newer hardware causing boot problems.
https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-community/storage/awesome/18.1.0-rc4/

1 Like

IIRC, balena-etcher = etcher is available for win too

I have tried all of those steps. Since I don't currently have a workable linux install I am stuck with Windows. I was more interested in if anyone else has had this issue with Rufus. Since it is the only documented suggestion for creating an ISO from windows and following the rather small documentation does not produce a good result. I'm not sure if this is an issue with Rufus or what.

I am guessing I am probably doing something wrong in formatting the USB from windows before creating the bootable image. At this point I am working on a quick arch install (wish me luck) since that ISO is successfully turned into a bootable USB. From there I will use dd to create the bootable USB since that is more or less fool proof.

Thanks for the input. If I figure out the root cause of my problems I will post it.

have you tried my suggestion ?

Yes even using winwrite32 it only writes the FAT32 EFI boot partition to the USB, not copying anything else. Rufus gives me no options about burning an ISO image or a DD image. Etcher prompts for nothing and additionally only writes the FAT32 EFI boot partition.

For context I opted to stick with the CLI when I originally did this for manjaro. I had used Windows to create a bootable Linux Mint USB when I originally moved from Mac OS X to Linux since I had windows available at the the time. But since I had a working Linux Mint install when I got tired of it and wanted to switch to Manjaro I just used the dd CLI to create the bootable USB.

The only thing I can think of is I didn't format the USB correctly from windows. It is reformatted and set to the factory defaults of FAT32.

how do you know that ? windows will not see all the data you wrote ...
did you try to boot off of it ? ... are you sure your system is set to boot off a usb ?
any error messages ?

It successfully starts up working through the boot process of Manjaro Linux. After completion of those steps it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. Nothing else happens from there.

I am selecting the medium to boot from directly from the BIOS menu when booting from the USB.

Well from here it could be a drivers issue,
can you try another image ?
like if you tried kde , download xfce etc

also, if you are familiar with grub, edit the linux boot line and remove "quiet' to see what is the kernel/systemd saying , if they are reached during the process .

also as always, try another usb key

I tried all versions of the 'official' manjaro releases, including KDE, XFCE, Gnome. None of them are created correctly when using rufus/etcher.

I am fairly confident this is not a driver issue, as the official Arch Linux ISO has no issues getting created on the USB from windows using Rufus. But it actually prompts with the selection between ISO Image and DD Image.

I will try removing "quite" from the boot line and see if that produces anything more helpful.

The Rufus developer disabled choosing the image type when it detects a Manjaro ISO. It will create it in DD mode by default.

2 Likes

Well that at least explains why I was seeing what I was.

I isolated the issue to windows and secure boot/compatibility mode. When I originally added manjaro on my desktop it was a blank slate so I never ran into the issue. I still had the windows bootable USB so I just reinstalled everything eventually. Windows was only used for gaming and I was having a lot of trouble disabling secure boot/compatibility mode and having my 2 m2 SSDs discoverable and bootable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by