Can't get nvidia drivers to work

video-nvidia is what MHWD uses to define the latest nvidia drivers. but yes, alternatively you can just install linuxXX-nvidia which is what it does anyhow.

video-linux though should of been uninstalled first either way since it blacklists nvidia drivers in favor of nouveau IIRC

these stay installed as they are part of MHWD and have no effect on installed drivers

I haven't understood a bit from it, but I guess I never dig so dip on how it works or why this stuff is so different on Manjaro.

Anyway, I had basic mhwd non-free bumblebee setup (intel/nvidia) and this gave me all I needed.

My experience is: people who mess with graphics packages manually have issue after issue and are massively confused, what to install, what to not install, what to blacklist, etc. Mhwd works well for most.

Too bad that in OPs case non-free mwhd setup has an issue of the starting X session. On another hand, all optimus-manager installation and configuration can be done from tty and there is a chance that it will fix any issue it was in the first place and system will boot correctly into intel session (by default).

Or, he (the OP) can just install proprietary drivers via mhwd and do all the configuration from working X session (so before reboot) and then try to reboot to see if it works. So I guess there is a potential there.

I already started with the optimus-manager tutorial and it's possible I'll finish it tomorrow, but as I said, it assumes working mhwd bumblebee non-free setup (on a hybryd GPUs). If someone messed with the packages manually (install this or uninstall that), then there is a high chance that it won't work. So as a rule of thumb, any newbie user should stay away from any manual driver configuration and relay on mhwd (if it's possible).

@dglt, of course I welcome to improve the tutorial once I posted it. I assume, that you have the rights to edit topics/posts in tutorial section?

I believe that optimus-manager matured enough to be presented to the wider public and people are too scared of it. It's not that complicated, although the original Install section on github is not written in a optimal way (and thus confuses newbies) so I intend to change it.

an appreciative user was kind enough to edit my lightdm version of optimus-switch readme because my original layout is pretty much just bulleted lines (it was my first git repo). my layout skills are far from perfect. someone also made a graphical switch like optimus-manager to work with optimus-switch-gdm, i plan on adding it to the each of the versions but i have not got around to it yet.

for some optimus-manager may work but configuring it or understanding whats goin on in the background is much more complicated and it's gpu power management is bbswitch or nouveau which i could never manage to get to work properly and do so reliably.

I'm reading that Optimus manager does not support GDM, is it possible that my problems are caused by GDM? If it's the case I switch to something else in 3 seconds

Yes. You need to install gdm-prime from AUR (and uninstall the default one) for it to work.

Yeah, those are pain points that may occur and which I don't address in the tutorial at this point as I assume the correct mhwd configuration. However, I welcome all improvements to it. Optimus-manager is under appreciated and underused because of needed manual configuration. People are needlessly scared of it. I believe if they know all the twists like with GDM or SDDM and configure it properly, it will work for most users. Of course there will always be some with issues, this is unavoidable. Nothing is perfect.

The tutorial is almost ready and I should post it any minute. Just reading it once again before doing it, then I will edit this post (or add a new one) and add a link to it here.

EDIT: Here is the link to a first version of the tutorial @dglt and @akaMarkhozz:

1 Like

Nothing changed, the system still hangs after the login

You need to gather some debugging info:

journalctl -b -p3

journalctl -u optimus-manager.service

journalctl -u gdm.service

Xorg log at /var/log/Xorg.xxx.log or ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.xxx.log .

Kernel logs : journalctl -k

1 Like

Now I can boot with optimus manager but when I switch gpu and logout the system freezes, I think it's related to Cinnamon, the troubleshooting guide on github report this:

My display manager is not SDDM, LightDM nor SDDM

In that case you must manually configure your display manager so that :

It uses Xorg (no Wayland)
    It runs the script /usr/bin/prime-offload just after starting its display server for the login screen
    It runs the script /usr/bin/prime-switch as root after the current user has logged out.

Do you know what to do at this step? it's not explained :frowning_face:

I followed your guide I didn't find optimus-manager-qt in the startup options but only optimus-manager, could this be a problem?

First, check if the optimus-manager daemon is running correctly:

systemctl status optimus-manager.service

As autostart you should have optimus-manager-qt which is try icon utility, so choosing the version without qt may get you in trouble since optimus-manager is already running. Check if you have installed optimus-manager-qt. If not, install it from AUR.

I think I made a mistake. I assume that the utility is in Manjaro repos, it isn't so the command I gave in tutorial won't work, that is probably why you don't have it. Install with Octopi from AUR or use chosen AUR helper:

trizen optimus-manager-qt
yay optimus-manager-qt

Once this is done, you should see it in auto-start, set it up, reboot.

As to the freeze, you need to gather some debug info first as shown above. This will tell us what is happening. You can also change in settings (from tray) switch from bbswitch to noveau or opposite (dependently what you are using) and see what is happening and if it fixed (or not) something.

I'm not sure which DM is used by Cinnamon. It's it LightDM or something else? If something else, this is problematic, because I have no idea how to do that what it says in FAQ, just as you. I never needed it to figure it out but I would first:

• check what DM I am using
  • find info on Arch wiki or some documentation how it works and how it can be edited
  • try to understand if you must edit optimus-manager script to work with this DM or other way around or simply figure out how optimus-manager script interacts with known DMs.
  • if that doesn't work, switch to LightDM (info how to do it correctly is on Arch wiki and plenty of sites)

I think the first requirement is rather easy because at this moment not many DMs really supports Wayland. From what I know SDDM and GDM are the ones and that's it, unless something has changed and others started supporting it? There are probably some obscure ones that could use wayland but since they are not widely used, we can forget about them.

Running correctly

It is installed but it is not in the startup menu, btw I rebooted and the optimus-manager icon is in the bottom right tray, I can choose between intel and nvidia, but when I logout (to switch the GPU) the system freezes

I tried to switch from nouveau to bbswitch in the optimus-manager settings, now I can't boot my PC it is stuck at the splash screen with the fans at maximum speed

Can you log in to tyy? ctrl+alt+f2

Go to /etc/optimus-manager/ and edit optimus-manager.conf to the previous setting. Reboot.

Yes I did it, it is working like before

OK, when everything is working and you are on a desktop give us logs (you may use pastebin for longer outputs):

journalctl -b -p3

journalctl -u optimus-manager.service

journalctl -u gdm.service or whatever dm you use. just replace gdm with the name of your DM.

It uses LightDM

1 Like

I started anylyzing the logs and here my first, quick conclusions:

• BIOS/UEFI needs update, maybe this fix some of the ACPI issues with the firmware, otherwise you may expect various energy related problems
  • your CPU is getting dangerously high and gets throttled (performance gets lowered) and this is a serious issue - check journalctl -b -p3 regularly after boots to see if this was a singular issue caused by the problematic switch setting of optimus-manager or something permanent, if permanent, you need to solve it to do anything on this computer and gaming is not advisable till then, it can be a simple hardware issue of the fans being dusty, or your thermal paste needs replacement or result of those above ACPI errors which is more problematic
  • optimus-manager logs are correct, it's working or trying to work, all OK here
  • seems like there is a problem with LightDM, especially the part: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

This looks like as if you had gdm and gnome on your system? What did you actually do? Is it Manjaro Cinnamon fresh install or did you add Cinnamon on top of Gnome? Or maybe it's a parallel Cinnamon installation next to Gnome? Is Gnome or GDM uninstalled?

It's possible that the optimus-manager script is not working right because this is lightDM and yet see some gdm elements that are missing and script waiting for them? Just guessing but I might be wrong. Getting rid of those elements or restoring correct, vanilla settings should fix it. So let's find out what you did to mess this up :wink: .

It's not that high, it is around 45 C, it's a normal temperature for a laptop.
There are some bugs on the detection of the temperature of my gpu instead, it says 500 C

Fresh Cinnamon install, but I wrongly installed gdm-prime when I was following your guide

This is still a serious issue. Maybe your CPU is not about to burn down but you get throttling and thus nerfed CPU power which will impact your whole system (and games) performance. Your fans will be also working like crazy and burning your battery power (shorting your battery life). It is possible (but not sure) that updating BIOS may resolve that issue.
I would also advise to install 5.1 kernel and see if it helped.

OK, I did some research and it looks like gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file is a current and very widespread bug (so on various DMs):

I also can spot it in my logs, not always but sometimes, so this probably is not the cause of the issue. I'm studding logs further.

I have an idea. Let's find out if the issue is with the switch itself or with nvidia setup. Currently you have the default Intel mode on the system boot. Change it to nvidia and reboot. If something bad happens, you already know how to fix it :slight_smile:.

EDIT: My sddm log is different so it's hard for me to realize what is wrong in your. On first glance all is OK but the switch is not happening. For example I have:

maj 23 09:21:43 alienware-PC sddm[1113]: Running display setup script  "/sbin/prime-offload"
maj 23 09:21:44 alienware-PC sddm[1113]: Display server started.

While for you it is:

giu 24 10:20:43 marco-pc lightdm[782]: Setting up PRIME

and I wonder if that is not the problem, maybe it should look like for me? Maybe LightDM is not configured to read the prime-offload screen but to have steady GPU (Prime)?

What is you lightdm.config? Can you show it here?

I updated the bios.
The system boot with nvidia driver, but on the desktop I still use Intel.

This is my lightdm.conf: https://pastebin.com/mcAZ6WUG

Forum kindly sponsored by