Can't install drivers newer than nvidia-390xx

I am setting up a laptop with an Nvidia Geforce820M that is in theory supported by the newest 440xx driver but any version of the driver newer than the 390xx one doesn't get recognized by nvidia-smi

I am using optimus-manager for managing the intel iGPU, manjaro-settings-manager to install the driver, xorg and lightdm (with i3wm).

In other words you follow this tutorial?

If you did not follow this, try to see what is about and let us know if you have problems at some steps.

can you please returns

inxi -Fxxxza

This doesn't really work because the driver seems to not be installed properly.
At step "2. Disable Bumblebee daemon" I do not have that daemon on my system.
In step "3. Disable Xorg graphic configurations in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/" there aren't any graphics configurations.

After installing the automatic nonfree graphics with mhwd, enabling optimus-manager, rebooting and switching to nvidia graphics I have this output to the command nvidia-smi:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

And this output to optimus-manager --status:

ERROR: the latest GPU setup attempt failed at Xorg pre-start hook.
Log at /var/log/optimus-manager/switch/switch-20200724T172715.log

Cannot execute command because of previous errors.

The aforementioned logfile contains the following lines:

[12] INFO: # Xorg pre-start hook
[12] INFO: Previous state was: {'type': 'pending_pre_xorg_start', 'requested_mode': 'nvidia', 'current_mode': 'intel'}
[12] INFO: Requested mode is: nvidia
[12] INFO: Checking for GDM display servers
[286] INFO: Available modules: ['nouveau', 'nvidia', 'nvidia_drm', 'nvidia_modeset', 'nvidia_uvm']
[286] INFO: Unloading modules ['nouveau'] (if loaded)
[317] INFO: Loading module nvidia
[634] ERROR: Xorg pre-start setup error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/optimus_manager/bash.py", line 11, in exec_bash
    out = subprocess.check_output(
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 411, in check_output
    return run(*popenargs, stdout=PIPE, timeout=timeout, check=True,
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 512, in run
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args,
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['bash', '-c', 'modprobe nvidia NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable=1']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/optimus_manager/kernel.py", line 179, in _load_module
    exec_bash("modprobe %s %s" % (module, options))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/optimus_manager/bash.py", line 18, in exec_bash
    raise BashError(
optimus_manager.bash.BashError: Failed to execute 'modprobe nvidia NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable=1' :
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': No such device

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/optimus_manager/hooks/pre_xorg_start.py", line 45, in main
    setup_kernel_state(config, prev_state, requested_mode)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/optimus_manager/kernel.py", line 21, in setup_kernel_state
    _nvidia_up(config)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/optimus_manager/kernel.py", line 56, in _nvidia_up
    _load_nvidia_modules(config, available_modules)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/optimus_manager/kernel.py", line 109, in _load_nvidia_modules
    _load_module(available_modules, "nvidia", options="NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable=%d" % pat_value)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/optimus_manager/kernel.py", line 181, in _load_module
    raise KernelSetupError("error running modprobe for %s : %s" % (module, str(e)))
optimus_manager.kernel.KernelSetupError: error running modprobe for nvidia : Failed to execute 'modprobe nvidia NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable=1' :
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': No such device

[635] INFO: Removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-optimus-manager.conf (if present)
[635] INFO: Writing state {'type': 'pre_xorg_start_failed', 'switch_id': '20200724T172715', 'requested_mode': 'nvidia'}

Wow, usually optimus-manager log is clean and the issues are on the DM side, but here we get multiple issues here and it's hard to tell what went wrong.

Is your system fully upgraded? Partial install could cause such problems:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syyu

You may also try to re-install all installed packages. No harm to try:

sudo pacman -Qenq | pacman -S -

You may also try using optimus-manager-git.

However, I feel that if it helps, it will help with part of the problem and the issues run deeper. Some packages may be missing or be incorrectly configured, but maybe things get more clear along the way? Let's see.

With the driver automatically installed by mhwd (video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime) this is the output:

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics vendor: ASUSTeK 
  driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0a16 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 
  620M/625M/630M/720M] 
  vendor: ASUSTeK driver: N/A bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1140 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting 
  alternate: fbdev,intel,vesa resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 20.1.3 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes

I ran both commands and nothing changed.
Since I can't install the correct drivers with or without optimus-manager (or optimus-manager-git) I'm lead to believe the issue is with the drivers.

Should I maybe try the latest 5.8 kernel? I am running the 5.7.0-1 right now.

The info is confusing. NVIDIA's GF117 GPU uses the Fermi 2.0 architecture, so only the nvidia-390xx drivers are possible. However, this can be used by variety of GPUs, such as NVIDIA GeForce 820M. See the info here:

In theory 390xx drivers should be enough and work well thou, but it's possible that the GPU is old enough to cause problems. Sites seem to be not agreeable on the release date, because I found 2014, 2015 and even 2011, so this is confusing.

Here is some other site:

But it also confirms that it's Fermi type, so no way around it, 390xx are the only possible variant.

Lutris doesn't work with older drivers, I don't know why.

You can see here on Nvidia's website that the 820M is supported by the 430xx drive, even though for me it didn't work.

I believe I should take this issue to the lutris' forums

But it uses Fermi CPU unit, which forces you to use old drivers. It's possible that different GPU models can have different CPU units and in your case, you have Fermi one. It was probably used on the M line (for laptops). It may be possible that there are even different M variations, some with fermi, some with other CPU unit.

Lutris should work with 390xx as far I know, so maybe you're simply lacking of some packages. Try this:

sudo pacman -S lib32-mesa vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader -y

and then:

sudo pacman -S wine-staging giflib lib32-giflib libpng lib32-libpng libldap lib32-libldap gnutls lib32-gnutls mpg123 lib32-mpg123 openal lib32-openal v4l-utils lib32-v4l-utils libpulse lib32-libpulse libgpg-error lib32-libgpg-error alsa-plugins lib32-alsa-plugins alsa-lib lib32-alsa-lib libjpeg-turbo lib32-libjpeg-turbo sqlite lib32-sqlite libxcomposite lib32-libxcomposite libxinerama lib32-libgcrypt libgcrypt lib32-libxinerama ncurses lib32-ncurses opencl-icd-loader lib32-opencl-icd-loader libxslt lib32-libxslt libva lib32-libva gtk3 lib32-gtk3 gst-plugins-base-libs lib32-gst-plugins-base-libs vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader lutris -y

What worries me thou, that on both sites, this CPU unit of the GPU is said to be N/A for Vulkan... Hopefully, this is just some not updated data.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/legacy-gpu/

After installing those packages the games still aren't launching.
I am getting the following errors:
Torchlight 2:

lutris-wrapper: Torchlight 2
Running /usr/bin/wine /home/davifah/Games/Torchlight2/ModLauncher.exe
Initial process has started with pid 1281
Game is considered started.
user.reg:638: Malformed value '"HDA Intel HDMI HDMI/DP,pc"=3 (js)"="disabled"'
Initial process has exited.
Game is considered exited.
All monitored processes have exited.
Exit with returncode 0

Undertale:

lutris-wrapper: Undertale
Running /usr/bin/wine /home/davifah/Games/GOG_Library/Undertale/UNDERTALE.exe
Initial process has started with pid 2260
user.reg:638: Malformed value '"HDA Intel HDMI HDMI/DP,pc"=3 (js)"="disabled"'
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
info:  Game: UNDERTALE.exe
info:  DXVK: v1.7-81-g3322da4b
info:  Built-in extension providers:
info:    Win32 WSI
info:    OpenVR
warn:  OpenVR: Failed to locate module
info:  Enabled instance extensions:
info:    VK_KHR_get_surface_capabilities2
info:    VK_KHR_surface
info:    VK_KHR_win32_surface
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dxvk::DxvkError'
Exit with returncode 768

Return of the Obra Dinn:

lutris-wrapper: Return of the Obra Dinn
Running /usr/bin/wine /home/davifah/Games/GOG_Library/Return of the Obra Dinn/ObraDinn.exe
Initial process has started with pid 2451
Mono path[0] = 'Z:/home/davifah/Games/GOG_Library/Return of the Obra Dinn/ObraDinn_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = 'Z:/home/davifah/Games/GOG_Library/Return of the Obra Dinn/ObraDinn_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = 'Z:/home/davifah/Games/GOG_Library/Return of the Obra Dinn/ObraDinn_Data/Mono/etc'
Player data archive not found at `Z:/home/davifah/Games/GOG_Library/Return of the Obra Dinn/ObraDinn_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystemInitialize engine version: 5.6.5p4 (10861494ddb7)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
info:  Game: ObraDinn.exe
info:  DXVK: v1.7-81-g3322da4b
info:  Built-in extension providers:
info:    Win32 WSI
info:    OpenVR
warn:  OpenVR: Failed to locate module
info:  Enabled instance extensions:
info:    VK_KHR_get_surface_capabilities2
info:    VK_KHR_surface
info:    VK_KHR_win32_surface
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dxvk::DxvkError'
Exit with returncode 768

However the games seem to work fine if I launch them directly through wine inside the file manager, so I don't know what is wrong with lutris.

In first two cases it looks like the games are looking GPU and system is pointing them to Intel and game can't find it, so without GPU, game start is stopped.

In case of Lutris, it couldn't start DXVK, maybe because of Intel GPU?

Anyway, you have all the needed packages. Now you need to switch to Nvidia or Hybrid mode. Can you do it now or maybe you get the same errors as before?

You can also experiment and set Nvidia as the default mode at boot. Then reboot and thest in which mode you are in:

optimus-manager --print-mode

Actually, you can test it with your current mode, because it showed some concerned 'none' response. If that is still the case, we need to look at the config files as a next step.

I was using the nvidia gpu when I ran those attempts.
The output of "optimus-manager --status" is

Optimus Manager (Client) version 1.3

Current GPU mode : nvidia
GPU mode requested for next login : no change
GPU at startup : nvidia
Temporary config path: no

And the contents of "/etc/opimus-manager/optimus-manager.conf" is

[intel]
DRI=3
accel=
driver=modesetting
modeset=yes
tearfree=

[nvidia]
DPI=96
PAT=yes
allow_external_gpus=no
ignore_abi=no
modeset=yes
options=overclocking

[optimus]
auto_logout=yes
pci_power_control=yes
pci_remove=no
pci_reset=no
startup_auto_battery_mode=intel
startup_auto_extpower_mode=nvidia
startup_mode=nvidia
switching=nouveau

I believe it could be related to the gpu not supporting vulkan, in that case I believe it's bad luck for me.

It all looks all OK, so I guess you are right and the GPU's CPU unit architecture is at fault by not supporting Vulkan :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by