can't install manjaro from usb on dell inspiron laptop

You are very vague - how are we supposed to answer that question?

Firmware settings

• Some systems require the user to set a firmware password before more advanced options becomes available
  • Disable Intel Optane memory
  • Disable RAID option
  • Enable AHCI
  • Disable Secure Boot
  • Disable Fast Boot
  • Disable CSM (Legacy/MBR) boot

Windows

2 Likes

If you can use the USB plugged in and working, the only thing you have left to do is click install manjaro. . .
You've already accomplished the hardest part for most new Linux users.

I too have a Dell Inspiron. Install was absurdly easy. If you're not just trolling, you need to be way more specific for anyone to be able to even begin to help you with your situation.

I'm not trolling. When I install it, it looks like it is completed. But then when I reboot without the USB, there's no OS present for some reason.

So you go thru the whole installer, pick your time zone for your locale, chose free office or libre office, erase disk with automatic partitioning and install manjaro, you wait a while it says installation is complete you check the box for restart, remove media and it restarts to a black screen?

Does it say anything at all? If you boot to your firmware, does it show a manjaro partition or as if anything was installed?

To me it sounds like you're booting into the USB and then restarting and not actually installing anything.

Have you had a look in your BIOS/UEFI settings menu? Did you install in UEFI or Legacy mode?

Maybe the bootloader was not installed properly.
Please, answer the questions asked, if you need help. :man_shrugging:

If you installed in UEFI mode, boot to your installer USB and select "Detect EFI installations", hopefully you'll see an entry for your installed system, boot to it and re-install grub.

I am still having problems understanding this. I am new to Linux. I am booting the live version with a flash drive with LEGACY mode. After I install Manjaro from the ISO and reboot, I switch out of LEGACY mode to UEFI and there are some other settings that I am not familiar with. The only boot option is Linux Mint for some reason. Manjaro isn't present and then it boots to nowhere and says something about installing over IPV6.

But it works fine live except for freezing when too many tabs are open.

Thank you.

I am still having problems understanding this. I am new to Linux. I am booting the live version with a flash drive with LEGACY mode. After I install Manjaro from the ISO and reboot, I switch out of LEGACY mode to UEFI and there are some other settings that I am not familiar with. The only boot option is Linux Mint for some reason. Manjaro isn't present and then it boots to nowhere and says something about installing over IPV6.

But it works fine live except for freezing when too many tabs are open.

Thank you.

Booting up you Manjaro usb in Legacy mode would entail an installation in the same mode. If after the installation you change the boot mode of your machine to UEFI, that would mean you can't boot up Manjaro. Therefore, same installation mode, same boot mode.

Please post the terminal output of the following commands:
sudo parted -l
(thet is lowercase L)

1 Like

You're not just new to Linux: you're apparently also new to UEFI. :wink:

1. Don't change to legacy mode (aka "BIOS compatibility mode")
  2. Follow @linux-aarhus 's excellent advice and go here for step-by-step instructions.
  3. As you've installed Manjaro already you'll find that the existing install you've made is there (but you cannot boot into it) just replace that one
  4. If you don't want the Linux Mint, delete that from the partitioning screen as well.
  5. If you see NTFS or FAT partitions: that's Windows and UEFI respectively: Don't delete those!

Just read up on the things you don't know yet and you'll be fine...

:innocent:

When after reading things you still don't understand, come back here and ask specific questions with exact error messages. (if any)

okay, thank you!

Model: Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 15.6GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
2 2396MB 2400MB 4194kB primary esp

Model: MMC DF4032 (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 31.3GB
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 31.3GB 31.3GB primary ext4

Error: /dev/mmcblk0boot0: unrecognised disk label
Model: Generic SD/MMC Storage Card (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0boot0: 4194kB
Partition Table: unknown
Disk Flags:

Error: /dev/mmcblk0boot1: unrecognised disk label
Model: Generic SD/MMC Storage Card (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0boot1: 4194kB
Partition Table: unknown
Disk Flags:

• Do I get this right and are you trying to install a Manjaro desktop version on a 32GB MMC with a 4MB boot partition?
  • Did you turn off Legacy like we told you already (because most BIOSes cannot boot from MMCs.)
  • Could you just tell in plain English what you're trying to accomplish here?
    E.G.: "I want a separate bootable environment that I can take with me wherever I go and use any Internet Café computer and my "computer" is just a USB stick."

@jmiller 32gb MMC HD??? Is this a Chromebook?

I'm a total novice. I've been able to wipe the WINDOWS 10 installation from my DELL INSPIRON and use MANJARO with a flash drive. I don't understand UEFI, BIOS, LEGACY.

:astonished:
:thinking:
:exploding_head:
:face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

are you here to help? i can switch out of these things but there is more than one setting in the F12 menu.

:duck: :duck: :walking_man: :mag_right: >> UEFI VS Legacy :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=UEFI+VS+Legacy&ia=web

why isn't it installing?

@jmiller
We are still waiting for some answers:

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by