Can't install Spotify

Following the instructions from the Manjaro wiki, I get the following error when attempting to install Spotify(Full Terminal output) --

pamac build spotify
Preparing...
Cloning spotify build files...
Checking spotify dependencies...
The PGP key 931FF8E79F0876134EDDBDCCA87FF9DF48BF1C90 is needed to verify spotify source files.
Trust Spotify Public Repository Signing Key <tux@spotify.com> and import the PGP key ? [y/N] y
gpg: key A87FF9DF48BF1C90: public key "Spotify Public Repository Signing Key <tux@spotify.com>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1

The PGP key 2EBF997C15BDA244B6EBF5D84773BD5E130D1D45 is needed to verify spotify source files.
Trust Spotify Public Repository Signing Key <tux@spotify.com> and import the PGP key ? [y/N] y
gpg: key 4773BD5E130D1D45: public key "Spotify Public Repository Signing Key <tux@spotify.com>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1

Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
To install (2):
  gtk2            2.24.32-2         extra      6.1 MB
  libcurl-gnutls  7.70.0-2          community  233.8 kB
To build (1):
  spotify         1:1.1.10.546-4    AUR

Total download size: 6.4 MB
Total installed size: 38.5 MB
Edit build files ? [y/N] y

Cloning spotify build files...
Checking spotify dependencies...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
To install (2):
  gtk2            2.24.32-2         extra      6.1 MB
  libcurl-gnutls  7.70.0-2          community  233.8 kB
To build (1):
  spotify         1:1.1.10.546-4    AUR

Total download size: 6.4 MB
Total installed size: 38.5 MB
Edit build files ? [y/N] n

Apply transaction ? [y/N] y
Error: Failed to prepare transaction: could not find database

I would try the flatpak version:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -S flatpak
flatpak install spotify

If you don't mind using snap, certainly also the snap version could be installed:

This message suggests a generic issue with The package manager. Are you able to Install any other package?

I would, but my system is sluggish as crud on snaps. That's why I came back here from Ubuntu after using it for a bit(along with it not being rolling release :sob:)

Yeah, I know for certain I installed the Skype and Brave browser packages from the AUR just fine. Manjaro repo's also work just fine.

also if I manually search for Spotify in the GUI client of Pamac, I don't seem to be able to find it. What would I look up?

It is called spotify. The version is 1:1.1.10.546-4

I did a spotify test installation in a virtualbox and it worked fine. But I am using yay as the installation tool.

pamac install yay
yay -Syyu
yay -S spotify

Make sure fakeroot package is installed before you try to install spotify: yay -S fakeroot

2 Likes

worked like a charm

You mean make sure the base-devel group is installed. :wink:

See Arch User Repository: Getting started

Just a note here, if having issues with AUR packages I always go to the AUR Web page and search for the package there. Quite often the notes will point you to a fix for build issues.

Also you can see if there is an alternative build - git - bin

1 Like

After some issues with Cpod, I just put the flatpak Spotify on, no problems so far - I just used pamac gui and saw 1. Flatpak and 2. snap. Flatpak looks okay, but I'm doing the yay install now.

Not a fan of flatpak or snaps. Just doesn't feel right to me idk

Good reason for snaps tho, they slow

I guess so - however, Spotify won't do what I want in any guise - if you're not a premium subscriber it seems unable to handle podcasts. I guess I'll try another Cpod build instead.

I've had no issue with Podcasts with the spotify package from the AUR. Just recently I've started moving away from Spotify and migrating to self-hosting. Seems like a feasible alternative.

Spotify refused to play the first three podcasts I pointed it to - and now Cpod is messed up with crazy font display issues...

Not happy.

Oof. Fault on me as well, I was thinking I'd tried podcasts from the AUR build of Spotify, but I'd only had tried podcasts on a Windows machine, not the AUR, that's a fault on mine :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by