Can't launch manjaro after a bios update

Hi,

I have a dual-boot with Windows 10 and Manjaro KDE, in my laptop (Lenovo Yoga 530-14IKB). I just updated the BIOS (as recommended) from Windows.

But when restarting my computer, I couldn't acces to the GRUB, which allowed me to launch Manjaro and Windows. Now I just can access to Windows, and I really need to recover my Linux!

I have tried to do this: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=GRUB/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader. But I can't install mtools: I don't have the error right now because I'm using Windows, but if you think that the problem could be fixed with mtools installed, I can use one more time my boot key and show you the error. I restarted my computer to test if started with the GRUB after having followed everything (except for mtools), and it started with windows.

I can add that I don't se the grub in the bios order of apparition. I can also choose in the BIOS bitween legacy and uefi, I enabled legacy.

If someone has already experimented this kind of problem, or if someone knows how to acces to the GRUB, it would be a pleasure to discuss!

Thank you very much!

Hi!
You need to re-set the boot disk order

If you mean to enter the BIOS and to set the order right there, I can't : only windows appears in the list of bootable things.

What mode are your Windows and Manjaro installed in?

1 Like

I saw in Windows "system information" that I was in UEFI mode, my bad. Do you think that I can retry the tuto, using the section for UEFI systems? Is it the right way to have access to the GRUB?

Disable the Legacy boot mode first. Set it to UEFI only.

If Manjaro won't show as a boot device in your Bios, then boot up your live usb and follow the instructions for UEFI mode to reinstall Grub. Skip the part for creating a new EFI system partition since supposedly you already have one.

1 Like

I have a problem that I didn't have when trying to restore GRUB for the first time:

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo manjaro-chroot -a
==> Detected systems:
 --> 0) ManjaroLinux
==> Select system to mount [0-0] : 
==> ERROR: You can't mount 0!

Is it normal? I wait for your agreement to continue.

Please type 1 instead of 0.

( That should actually be addressed somehow by someone. Just having a comment or something when one is to use chroot and only one linux system is detected would be helpful.)

1 Like

Thank you very much.

I now still have the problem with the install of mtools:

[manjaro /]# sudo pacman -S mtools os-prober
warning: os-prober-1.77-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (2) mtools-4.0.24-1  os-prober-1.77-1

Total Download Size:   0.19 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.48 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.34 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
:: Retrieving packages...
error: failed retrieving file 'mtools-4.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Could not resolve host: mirror.oldsql.cc
error: failed retrieving file 'mtools-4.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from ftp.free.org : Could not resolve host: ftp.free.org
error: failed retrieving file 'mtools-4.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from kibo.remi.lu : Could not resolve host: kibo.remi.lu
error: failed retrieving file 'mtools-4.0.24-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from manjaro.ynh.ovh : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ynh.ovh
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid url for server)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Do I continue without mtools?

sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -Sy mtools
my pacman log
:: Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken...
 core ist aktuell
 extra ist aktuell
 community ist aktuell
 multilib ist aktuell
Warnung: mtools-4.0.24-1 ist aktuell -- Reinstalliere
Löse AbhÀngigkeiten auf...
Suche nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen...

Pakete (1) mtools-4.0.24-1

GesamtgrĂ¶ĂŸe des Downloads:           0,19 MiB
GesamtgrĂ¶ĂŸe der installierten Pakete:  0,34 MiB
GrĂ¶ĂŸendifferenz der Aktualisierung:  0,00 MiB

:: Installation fortsetzen? [J/n] j
:: Empfange Pakete...
 mtools-4.0.24-1-x86_64                            191,6 KiB  1330 KiB/s 00:00 [--------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) PrĂŒfe SchlĂŒssel im SchlĂŒsselring                                         [--------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) ÜberprĂŒfe Paket-IntegritĂ€t                                               [--------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) Lade Paket-Dateien                                                       [--------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) PrĂŒfe auf Dateikonflikte                                                 [--------------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) ÜberprĂŒfe verfĂŒgbaren Festplattenspeicher                                [--------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Verarbeite PaketÀnderungen...
(1/1) Installiere mtools                                                       [--------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starte post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Updating the info directory file...

Yes.
The wiki says:

mtools is a collection of tools to access MS-DOS disks from GNU/Linux and Unix without mounting them.

I guess you can do without that package on a GPT disk that I suppose your disk is.

Hopefully I am not mistaken.

1 Like

I get that:

[manjaro /]# sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
::WARNING https://gitlab.manjaro.org '<urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>'
::WARNING https://wikipedia.org '<urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>'
::WARNING https://bitbucket.org '<urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>'
::INFO Internet connection appears to be down
::INFO Mirror ranking is not available
::INFO Mirror list is generated using random method
::INFO Writing mirror list
::France          : http://kibo.remi.lu/stable/$repo/$arch
::France          : http://ftp.free.org/mirrors/repo.manjaro.org/repos/stable/$repo/$arch
::France          : https://manjaro.ynh.ovh/stable/$repo/$arch
::France          : https://mirror.oldsql.cc/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch
::INFO Mirror list generated and saved to: /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
::INFO To reset custom mirrorlist 'sudo pacman-mirrors -id'
::INFO To remove custom config run  'sudo pacman-mirrors -c all'
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from kibo.remi.lu : Could not resolve host: kibo.remi.lu
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.free.org : Could not resolve host: ftp.free.org
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.ynh.ovh : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ynh.ovh
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Could not resolve host: mirror.oldsql.cc
error: failed to update core (invalid url for server)
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from kibo.remi.lu : Could not resolve host: kibo.remi.lu
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from ftp.free.org : Could not resolve host: ftp.free.org
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from manjaro.ynh.ovh : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ynh.ovh
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Could not resolve host: mirror.oldsql.cc
error: failed to update extra (invalid url for server)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from kibo.remi.lu : Could not resolve host: kibo.remi.lu
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from ftp.free.org : Could not resolve host: ftp.free.org
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from manjaro.ynh.ovh : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ynh.ovh
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Could not resolve host: mirror.oldsql.cc
error: failed to update community (invalid url for server)
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from kibo.remi.lu : Could not resolve host: kibo.remi.lu
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from ftp.free.org : Could not resolve host: ftp.free.org
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from manjaro.ynh.ovh : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ynh.ovh
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Could not resolve host: mirror.oldsql.cc
error: failed to update multilib (invalid url for server)
error: failed to synchronize all databases
[manjaro /]# 
[manjaro /]# sudo pacman -Sy mtools
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from kibo.remi.lu : Could not resolve host: kibo.remi.lu
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.free.org : Could not resolve host: ftp.free.org
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.ynh.ovh : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ynh.ovh
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Could not resolve host: mirror.oldsql.cc
error: failed to update core (invalid url for server)
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from kibo.remi.lu : Could not resolve host: kibo.remi.lu
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from ftp.free.org : Could not resolve host: ftp.free.org
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from manjaro.ynh.ovh : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ynh.ovh
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Could not resolve host: mirror.oldsql.cc
error: failed to update extra (invalid url for server)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from kibo.remi.lu : Could not resolve host: kibo.remi.lu
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from ftp.free.org : Could not resolve host: ftp.free.org
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from manjaro.ynh.ovh : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ynh.ovh
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Could not resolve host: mirror.oldsql.cc
error: failed to update community (invalid url for server)
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from kibo.remi.lu : Could not resolve host: kibo.remi.lu
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from ftp.free.org : Could not resolve host: ftp.free.org
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from manjaro.ynh.ovh : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ynh.ovh
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Could not resolve host: mirror.oldsql.cc
error: failed to update multilib (invalid url for server)
error: failed to synchronize all databases

I'll follow Marte then, and I keep you all in touch.

Next step:

[manjaro /]# sudo mkdir /boot/efi
mkdir: cannot create directory '/boot/efi': File exists

Here are my partitions:

[manjaro /]# sudo blkid -o list -c /dev/nul
device                                                                           fs_type         label            mount point                                                                          UUID
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/nvme0n1p1                                                                                           vfat                  SYSTEM_DRV             (not mounted)                                                                                                68D8-4A60
/dev/nvme0n1p3                                                                                           ntfs                  Windows-SSD            (not mounted)                                                                                                F45ADA195AD9D886
/dev/nvme0n1p4                                                                                           ntfs                  WINRE_DRV              (not mounted)                                                                                                6E28DAAD28DA7395
/dev/nvme0n1p5                                                                                           vfat                                         (in use)                                                                                                     789D-33D4
/dev/nvme0n1p6                                                                                           ext4                                         /                                                                                                            cf9a0877-9f49-41ba-bdeb-4c36b487d8bf
/dev/loop0                                                                                               squashfs                                     (in use)                                                                                                     
/dev/loop1                                                                                               squashfs                                     (in use)                                                                                                     
/dev/loop2                                                                                               squashfs                                     (in use)                                                                                                     
/dev/loop3                                                                                               squashfs                                     (in use)                                                                                                     
/dev/sda1                                                                                                iso9660               MANJARO_KDE_2003       (in use)                                                                                                     2020-06-06-08-14-33-00
/dev/sda2                                                                                                vfat                  MISO_EFI               (not mounted)                                                                                                F327-8F27
/dev/nvme0n1p2                                                                                                                                        (not mounted)                                                                                                

:arrow_up:

1 Like

Sorry about that.
After following all the steps in "notes" of the wiki, I get that:

[manjaro /]# sudo update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64-fallback.img
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check your device.map.
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
done

Can I restart my computer? What should I do?

Yes, restart now to see if you can boot up Manjaro. Though I'm bothered by the fact that I don't see your Windows' boot manager in the output.

1 Like

We made a huge step, I'm writing from Manjaro, it booted well, thanks!

There is still a (long?) way ahead of us, because I can't boot Windows from the GRUB (Windows boot manager doesn't appear...). --> you were right to be bothered about that.

That's good news!

That's not so much!

Please post the output from the following commands (from Manjaro):

sudo parted -l
(that's lowercase L)

sudo os-prober

efibootmgr -v

1 Like
elyur@Elyurscomputer ~> sudo parted -l

[sudo] password for elyur: 
Model: WD Elements 10A8 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  500GB  500GB  primary  ext4

Model: WDC PC SN720 SDAPNTW-512G-1101 (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  274MB   273MB   fat32        EFI system partition          boot, esp
 2      274MB   290MB   16,8MB               Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 3      290MB   91,6GB  91,3GB  ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
 5      91,6GB  91,8GB  210MB   fat32                                      msftdata
 6      91,8GB  511GB   419GB   ext4
 4      511GB   512GB   1049MB  ntfs         Basic data partition          hidden, diag
elyur@Elyurscomputer ~> sudo os-prober
/dev/nvme0n1p1@/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi
elyur@Elyurscomputer ~> efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0001
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,2001,0002,2002,2003
Boot0001* manjaro       HD(5,GPT,72e97a99-56f4-4e81-bb74-fd318b195b0e,0xaaad000,0x64000)/File(\EFI\manjaro\grubx64.efi)
Boot0002* Windows Boot Manager  HD(1,GPT,55671a36-d106-4fea-836c-1c5c4bfeab70,0x800,0x82000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)RC
Boot0003* EFI USB Device (TDK LoR TF30 USB 3.0) PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(13,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x5cf8f0,0x2000)RC
Boot0004* Windows Boot Manager  HD(1,GPT,55671a36-d106-4fea-836c-1c5c4bfeab70,0x800,0x82000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...e................
Boot2001* EFI USB Device        RC
Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM RC
Boot2003* EFI Network   RC
1 Like

This looks promising! It is detected after all!

Please update grub now once again:

sudo update-grub

and reboot. Hopefully an entry for Windows' boot manager will be added to the Grub's boot menu.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by