Can't mount home

So every time I booted my pc I got an error saying "unknown file system entering grub rescue mode", something like that. I could still boot eiither windows/manjaro by setting boot and prefix but I wanted to resotre grub so I followed this: Using livecd v17.0.1 (and above) as grub to boot OS with broken bootloader. I went with the single configfile method. I restored vanilla grub but every time I login I am greeted with login error message which only displays for few a few seconds and then returns me to the login screen.

Login error message
IMG_20200530_152358__01

TTY3
IMG_20200530_180620__01

Doesn't look good. Run fsck on sdb.

Also, post cat /etc/fstab

1 Like

IMG_20200530_190536__01__01

just noticed error on my part typed sda instead of sdb just ran it and i got:

[ranvir-pc ~]# fsck /dev/sdb
fsck from util-linux 2.35.1

I decided to check the sdb1 since that seems to be the partition failing to mount and I got this:

[ranvir-pc ~]# fsck -n /dev/sdb1
fsck from util-linux 2.35.1
e2fsck 1.45.6 (20-Mar-2020)
ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block
fsck.ext4: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks . . .
 fsck.ext4: Bad magic number in super-block while tying to open /dev/sdb1

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem.
If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
            e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
or
           e2fsck -b 32768 <device>
/dev/sdb1 contains a iso9660 fuke system labelled 'MANJARO_KDE_2001'

So how do fix my home partition?

You mean:

fsck /dev/sdc1

I don't know what happened but I managed to boot into my pc now one of the commands must have done something.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by