Can't open libreoffice

I see a lot of people reporting problems with libreoffice and the solution seems to be disabling JRE, the problem is that I can't open libreoffice to disable it.

When I try to open libreoffice, the loading screen appears for less than a seccond and then goes away. When I run it on terminal I get the following:

/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.66.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But I don't know where to get this library.

The problem is the same with libreoffice-still and libreoffice-fresh.

1 Like

Hello,

For search missing files, you can use command:

$ sudo pacman -Fyy
$ pacman -Fs libboost_system.so.1.66.0
extra/boost-libs 1.66.0-1
    usr/lib/libboost_system.so.1.66.0

Then make sure you install "boost-libs" package:
$ sudo pacman -S boost-libs

Or consider to reinstall libreoffice-still for fix missing dependecies.
$ sudo pacman -S libreoffice-still

2 Likes

You should also update your system. It seems out of date.

sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 
sudo pacman -Syyu

Also do a reboot if you got a new Linux Kernel.

Thanks both of you for replying!

I didn't know about pacman -Fs, this seems to be very useful.

About the reinstall: I reinstalled libreoffice-still and libreoffice-fresh a couple of times trying to fix this, and it did not work. Even uninstalling with pacman -Rsn to remove every trace of the program wasn't enough.

I'm running a system update. I found that my boost-libs package was indeed outdated, let's hope this fixes it.

I really think that the update will do the trick. I thought that if I reinstalled the libreoffice package, pacman would download the latest version of the dependency packages, but I think I misunderstood this.

Thank both of you for helping this guy who is been using linux for 7 years but is apparently still a newbie. :smiley:

1 Like

Try libreoffice --safe-mode

This returns the same error.

And before upgrade the system, consider do as suggested by @xabbu to make sure your mirrors is up to date:
sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5
Thanks.

It worked! Thanks!

1 Like

thanks bro,my issue was solved !

You're welcome.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by